Saturday, November 19, 2016

Rehab, ASL, uploaded by Philip Hayes

I love these kids so much. It aches. What fun they're having together. The main young woman is Caroline Moyer. She delivers a highly glossed version ignoring the English construction and precise lyrics and gives us instead a more direct feel of the song.

The word for "rehab" is the word for "help" a fist lifted upward with the palm of the other hand, except for "rehab" the fist is replaced with an "R."

The word for "compel" or "bully" or "abuse" is an individual finger being shoved downward with the opposite palm. It's a really cool word. She uses that system for "shove."

The two signs combined reversed, "rehab" + "shoved" along.

"I ain't got the time"  is "time get" in her hands.

From what I can see, and this really is how people speak, so kudos for this fantastic translation. I love this woman, it goes like this:

They tried to make me go to rehab but I said, “no, no, no.”
rehab me compel, no no no

Yes, I’ve been black but when I come back you’ll know, know, know
yes me drunk I (claw back to myself)  know, know, know

I ain’t got the time and if my daddy thinks I’m fine
time-get father think now (this here, moving along)  now they (points) compel me go, go, go

He’s tried to make me go to rehab but I won’t go, go, go.
now compel I not go, go, go,

I’d rather be at home with Ray
I home rather choice (associating)   (significant other)  points (to him)

I aint’ got seventy days
not time (for that over there) anyway enough

Cause there’s nothing
me rehab help teach me (dismissive expression)

There’s nothing you can teach me
rehab help (from head directly outward) dismissive expression

That I can’t learn from Mr. Hathaway
wave off  (floating) satisfy

I didn’t get a lot in class
school, nothing (at my head) over my head

But I know it don’t come in a shot glass
not, know pour (in this glass) sip.

There is absolutely nothing precise about it, no fidelity to English lyrics, no aligning poetry, no beat or melody or rhythm whatsoever and yet together they convey the same careless slaphappy and dismissive defiant tone of the song. And that's why I love them so.

They do this song entirely differently than I do it and all I can say is, "Well done!"


No comments: