Monday, May 30, 2016

"Music before surgery means patients need less sedation, study finds"

The Telegraph:  Just a quarter of an hour of jazz, classical and piano music before an eye operation was enough to reduce anxiety about the surgery carried out while the patient is awake.
A pilot study by the Paris-based Cochin University Hospital used music specifically composed to ease anxiety and found those who listened to it were more relaxed than others, up to an hour afterwards.
The 16 pieces were selected with the aim to prevent and manage pain, anxiety and depression.
All were instrumental pieces using a decreasing tempo, with a progressive decrease in the number of instruments playing. (more)
What would you want to hear before surgery?

14 comments:

edutcher said...

It hath charms to soothe the savage breast.

Well maybe not Melaina.

ndspinelli said...

What about rap?

ndspinelli said...

I would like to hear either Beethoven, Mozart, Verdi, Gershwin or Glenn Miller. There are others, but those come off the top of my head.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Barbra Streisand Evergreen. I know...

Methadras said...

Death Metal.

Steg said...

Segovia playing something. Anything. That or Megadeth - Tornado of Souls.

Or maybe my own music?! Give me a guitar doc, and hold the gas mask.

Chip Ahoy said...

Before eye surgery, um, Pinball Wizard. Rainbow in the Dark, The Last Game of the Season, I Can See Clearly Now The Rain Has Gone, or anything by Stevie Wonder, or Ronnie Milsap, or Moondog, or Jose Feliciano, or Ray Charles. You know, something soothing, something to take my mind off the immediate issue.

ndspinelli said...

Lem, Evergreen is our wedding song. It was played by a black, folk singer @ our wedding. He did a real nice job and didn't charge much. My bride and I paid for our own wedding.

ndspinelli said...

I loved that the Coen Brothers got Jose Feliciano into Fargo. Great scene w/ Jose playing in the background.

William said...

Definitely Mozart, but not anything too beautiful. The minuets or divertimento are pleasant, lulling sounds. Music that's good for nodding off is probably good for sedation.

Methadras said...

Steg, Segovia is up there for me too, but then my mind did it's usual and went right to Miles Davis.

virgil xenophon said...

@Methedras.

Segovia and Miles would do fine, Eric Satie too, but if limited to just one song I'd opt for Steve Miller Bands "Serenade."

Steg said...

I hear ya. My happy place lies in distorted guitars. If you know the song Rattlehead by Megadeth - thatsa me!

I got another good one.. El Paso. F*ckin' metal song right there... Brutally beautiful.

Steg said...

Hit the gas just right as 'Firlina, goodbyyyeee' (spelling?!).