Saturday, May 28, 2016

America's top spelling mistakes.



They're talking about a map published here at  dcist.  Interesting comments at the link.

In honor of Scripps National Spelling Bee Google pulled data on spelling search query "how to spell" by state. 

Utah looked up "leprechaun," Texas looked up "niece."North Dakotans inquired about "attitude." California asked for the spelling of "desert." 

I got that one. Dessert is sweet and delicious and has two S letters because you always want two desserts and desert has one S letter because once is enough for the desert. 

These are all smart people I'm surprised they bit. They're just playing. They all know better. Every one of these people, Insty, Zurcher, Taranto, Goldberg knows "how do you spell _____" is not how you query spelling. Collecting those queries then actually collects the most common words queried by people who haven't a clue how to query spelling. You simply type the word and if it's wrong then Google suggests the correct spelling. Usually. That's how spelling is queried. And there is no way to collect all those spelling queries because they appear simply as words spelled correctly or misspelled. The premise of the map is too flawed to be useful. I think all these people know that and they're all just having fun. 

Colorado, Jeez, disappointing, the spelling for "beautiful" isn't even mnemonic, it's just exaggeration bea U t-i-i-i-i ful.  Or is it full? Better check. 

South Dakota is checking "Gray" I bet because of the book Fifty Shades of Grey with its British spelling. This whole time they thought it was "gray." And it is. So the magnitude of the queries for [gray vs grey] is missed completely by counting as highest the far less number of queries for [spelling of gray]. 

This is what statisticians do when they're goofing around. It's just fun because they know it's all bogus. It's not how people search spelling. They're having fun with stats of people stumped on both spelling and search query. 

Credit where it is due: Two little very hard studying kids with disciplined habits and fer'ner last names tied for first place by spelling incredibly arcane words that they'll never have a chance to slip in ordinary conversation should they both live to 1,000 years for example Jairam Hathwar spelled "Feidenkrais" and Nihar Janga spelled "gesellschaft" to get to their first place spot. 

Tie endings like this are cool. After all that a sudden death match off would be too cruel. 

9 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Times tables, spelling, are all out the window now in our failed education industry. Ever notice how so many of those smart Spelling Bee kids are home schooled? My bride and I saw the play, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Funny parody of the "Bee."

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I rely on autocorrect.

Sometimes Twitter turns theirs off, or maybe the problem is from my end, I dont know. I'm in trouble when that happens.

ndspinelli said...

I am from a state, Connecticut, that most people can't spell. Massachusetts is up there as is Mississippi. However, Jiminy Cricket taught me and many Baby Boomers how to spell the latter.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Spellcheck... not autocorrect.

ampersand said...

I want to know where all the rediculous loosers live?

The Dude said...

"Feidenkrais"? I hope they meant "Feldenkrais". I know that word because I know at least two people who study that.

I encountered "gesellschaft" as a part of GmbH, as it relates to German manufacturers. I was just checking my facts and encountered Unternehmergesellschaft - ah, those whacky krauts and their compound words. I think that one needs a gesundheit after it.

Chip Ahoy said...

It probably is, Sixty, their site is like this one, typeface in gray. I had a devil of a time making it out. What is it?

First and second results are the spelling bee citing 'Gesellschaft' and 'Feldenkrais.

a somatic educational system designed by Moshé FeldenkraisFeldenkrais Center for Movement

Feel better in your body and mind, reduce pain, increase vitality with the Feldenkrais Method and mind-body practices. Small classes, personal attention, ..

The Feldenkrais method is an educational system that allows the body to move and function more efficiently and comfortably. Its goal is to re-educate the ...

So, there I have it. I should add it to internet words but I just now drank another quart of chocolate malted milkshake and I'm suffering an insane sugar high right now.

The Dude said...

Mmm, chocolate...

I like chocolate, but am not crazy about sugar, but chocolate without sugar is, well, difficult, shall we say. So I take cocoa powder and add a bit of sugar, get the complex intensity of the chocolate and the smallest amount of blood sugar spiking going on.

It's things like that that make me want to fold my krakow, which is, I think, the correct translation of Moshe's last name.

rcocean said...

Mississippi is actually easy to spell because there is some kind of rhyme or whatever about it.

Mi-ss-i-ss-i-pp-i

Massachusetts OTOH is almost for me to spell correctly. But then I hate those liberal Massaholes so badly, that I don't care.