Monday, April 25, 2016

Margarita Checa





These three are Spanish.




Google Images [margarita checa]

Now you've seen her work and admired it. Your appreciation is right up there with the experts. You know she's carving ancient olive wood from trees planted by Spanish at the time of the Incas. You know she inlays her carving with silver and horn and other types wood. How do you describe her work? Say, you're writing a pamphlet for one her exhibitions. 

Here's how Bill Lowe describes her work for his gallery.
...epic in its eloquence, breathing new life into archetypal symbols and dreams. Her hauntingly beautiful figures are at once mystical and primal, conveying an emotional experience unbounded by time. 
Ew, good one.

I don't think I can top that. I'd say, "Her work all looks African except with elegant feminine lines."

Margarita Checa says of herself.
"I went to live in Costa Rica in 1992. There I had the strongest sensation that regardless of where I might find myself I carried with me my entire country - its culture, its history, like tattoos all over my body. It was at that moment I started to inlay woods in the different colors and hues offered to me in Costa Rica." 
An art critic, Carol Damian says,
Taking imagery from dreams, Checa's work is a manifestation of the collective unconscious, startling in its clarity. "The essence of human is captured in Margarita Checa's melancholy and sensuously provocative sculptures. Haunted by psychological and emotional undertones that are communicated through the decidedly organic nature of wood or rich surfaces captured in bronze, her figures have a unique and expressive power.

11 comments:

Methadras said...

Why do artists all have that weird hair and that overall weird look? Is it genetic or on purpose?

ricpic said...

Hey Meth, she's way out there in the spiritual. Way out there past all that vanity stuff. Like get with it, man.

AllenS said...

I took one look at Margarita, and thought I was having an acid flashback.

Amartel said...

I recall seeing some program showing that some pharaohs had really elongated skulls like this. It's the sort of thing Ancient Aliens just creams over.

I call this: King Tut and Family take a contentious canoe trip. It's MY TURN TO ROW, DAD. Mom, I have to pee NOW. Whenarewestoppingwhenarewestoppingwhenarewestopping. She HIT me for NO REASON. I told you this would be a bad idea. People are following us on the shore with GUNS. I don't want to wear a life preserver; I actively want to die. Man overboard.

Okay, clearly there's all kinds of craft involved in making these pieces. The wood is carved beautifully and is very shiny. It looks like something for sale in Santa Fe. The explanation sounds like one you'd find in Santa Fe, too. I'd like a clearer explanation of the art involved. Not just "different types of wood remind me of different races" with some lame link to the artist's life ("is from the U.S.") and feelings. I suspect that's about the extent of the intellectual input here but if these pieces are part of some continuum or theme in the world of sculpture that might be different.

The Dude said...

Ugly art, funny looking woman. She's an "ah-tist!" Gag...

The Dude said...

When that many of those kind of words are used to describe art you can bet that be some ugly stuff.

The Painted Word explained it all.

Methadras said...

ricpic said...

Hey Meth, she's way out there in the spiritual. Way out there past all that vanity stuff. Like get with it, man.


Get off my lawn!!!

Methadras said...

She looks like she's mentally insane already. In that picture she looks like she's going to pop at any second and just stab you 80 times through the photo.

XRay said...

Sante Fe comments are spot on. Though agreed she spent much effort, for essentially bullshit. But liberal wankers will buy it, in spades.

Methadras said...

I read these 'reviews' and was left laughing at the sheer and audacious douchiness of it all.

Here's how Bill Lowe describes her work for his gallery.

...epic in its eloquence, breathing new life into archetypal symbols and dreams. Her hauntingly beautiful figures are at once mystical and primal, conveying an emotional experience unbounded by time.


Mystical and Primal? Conveying an emotion experience unbound by time? Really dude? Can you be anymore of a douche? And not just a douche but a really effete pretentious douche? You sound like the cocksuckers I used to run into going into mid-town as they wound their way through going into Chelsea. All breathless vapors and shit. God Bill Lowe you are a sanctimonious prick.

An art critic, Carol Damian says,

Taking imagery from dreams, Checa's work is a manifestation of the collective unconscious, startling in its clarity. "The essence of human is captured in Margarita Checa's melancholy and sensuously provocative sculptures. Haunted by psychological and emotional undertones that are communicated through the decidedly organic nature of wood or rich surfaces captured in bronze, her figures have a unique and expressive power.


Wow, an art critique, Carol Damian, no less. An art critique? What the fuck is that? Is that like a critic not unlike a movie critique or a wine critique? Your incohesive blathering sounds like the flatulence of a fat woman trying to describe the breathy nature of wine. You know what my dream imagery is about lady? Taking this woman's sculptor during the time after the apocalypse and using for firewood. Okay? Fuck off.

The Dude said...

In one picture you see that she has made a maquette out of plaster. Fine, that's a time-honored tradition in sculpture. I have seen plenty of plaster models worked by Rodin and Giacometti and plenty of others.

Then I look at her finished product - all made from very hard Central American wood - every piece sanded smooth, nicely finished, with all the details still intact.

Guess what - she may have made the models from which the carvers worked, but carving and sanding that much hard wood was done by others, not ol' Crazy Eyes herself. And just as an oh-by-the-way, she probably didn't pay them minimum wage.