Saturday, April 16, 2016

"I'm 93 baby, when you're pushing a century there is no take two"

"Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones reportedly booked for 'biggest concert in history'"
Billboard is among multiple sources to report that Goldenvoice Entertainment, the promoters behind Coachella Festival, will hold the festival in Indio, California between October 7-9. It will take place on the same site as Coachella.
As well as the aforementioned artists, The WhoNeil Young and Pink Floyd's Roger Waters have also signed up for the three-day event, according to the reports. The headline acts are expected to be paid $7 million each for their sets.
"It's so special in so many ways," Young's longtime manager Elliot Roberts reportedly told The LA Times. "You won't get a chance to see a bill like this, perhaps ever again. It's a show I look forward to more than any show in a long time."
News of the concert reminded me of another attempt to bring the music industry greats together.

4 comments:

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Phil plays Frank playing Troop.

Chip Ahoy said...

I must admit Rosie O'Donnell cracks me up. She's a wonderful actress, I enjoy watching her play around, she'd be a fun person to know. We'd hit if off, I can tell. And I just found out Exit to Eden is written by Anne Rice, and that right there is Oscar material. No wonder I like it so well.

That's an amazing skit, actually. They pulled out all the stops. (I don't know what that means. Is that a bunch of spigots or what? A dam? A bathtub with multiple stops? Something that drains by some number of stops for controlled flow. I don't know. Pulled out all the frets on a guitar and went half note, quarter note, eight note, sixteenth note, I'm imagining all this. Carburetor stop. Remove all glottal stops and speak consonants properly, or pull out all stop signs so people crash. I have no idea.)

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Rosie was funny until she became bitter.

The Dude said...

Stops are what you use to change the sound a pipe organ makes. Look up crumhorn, for example. What is most impressive about the names of organ stops is the mixture of languages - the Wiki page lists them and it is amazing - English, German, French, Italian - all thrown together. Then you pull out all the stops and go deaf.

The weird thing about playing a pipe organ is you sit at a keyboard somewhat removed, physically, from the pipes themselves. You depress a key - nothing - ah, wait, there's the note. I had just about given up on that one. So you start playing a tune. You play, then much later than you expect it, your ear hears it. Very offputting. Either you ignore what you are hearing and just play, or you listen to the music and ignore what your fingers are doing.

It's a lose lose situation. I much prefer the minimal time delay in traditional keyboards such as the clavichord, harpsichord or piano. Or, for fans of Question Mark and the Mysterions, the Farfisa.