Saturday, March 19, 2016

The Duke knows what he is talking about


Angie Lowe: Anyway, I don't believe a dog can smell Indians. 
I mean, as different from anyone else. You and me, for instance.
Hondo Lane: Well they can. Haven't you ever been to a 7-11. As a matter of fact, Indians can smell white people.
Angie Lowe: I don't believe it.
Hondo Lane: Well it's true. I'm part Indian and I can smell you when I'm downwind of you.
Angie Lowe: That's impossible.
Hondo Lane: No, it isn't impossible, Mrs. Lowe. You baked today. I can smell fresh bread on you. Sometime today, you cooked with salt pork. Smell that on you, too. You smell all over like soap: you took a bath. And, on top of that, you smell all over like a woman. Or fish. Like a trout left out in the sun. I could find you in the dark, Mrs. Lowe, and I'm only part Indian.
(Hondo, 1953)

5 comments:

rcocean said...

john havlicek supposedly was called "Hondo" based on this movie. And supposedly, John Wayne could smell Geraldine Page downwind because she never took a bath. And because she was a commie.

And now you know the rest of the story.

chickelit said...

A friend of mine did a stint as an English language instructor in South Korea. He once told me about a Korean moniker for whites which translates as "pink hairy monkey smells like milk." Slurs can be hilarious in context.

Dad Bones said...

Thinking about what edutcher said at 7:07. About a year or two ago I got a haircut at a barber shop in North Omaha's black ghetto. I liked the place and the barber did a good job but he put some kind of dressing on my hair, some strong stuff that left me smelling like a black guy for days before it finally washed out. The first day I kept turning around thinking a black man was standing too close to me.

ricpic said...

The dot Indians have no sex appeal. I'm sorry but they don't. I'm using sex appeal in its broad sense. American Injuns on the other hand...they were horrible brutes but undeniably sexy. And they probably had a hell of a pong too.

chickelit said...

ricpic said...The dot Indians have no sex appeal. I'm sorry but they don't. I'm using sex appeal in its broad sense.

Well, that should get a rise out Titus. So to speak.