Saturday, March 19, 2016

Homo sapiens' sex with extinct species was no one-night stand

Our species, Homo sapiens, has a more adventurous sexual history than previously realized, and all that bed-hopping long ago has left an indelible mark on the human genome.

Scientists said on Friday an analysis of genetic information on about 1,500 people from locations around the world indicated at least four interbreeding episodes tens of thousands of years ago, three with our close cousins the Neanderthals and one with the mysterious extinct human species known as Denisovans.

People living on the remote equatorial islands of Melanesia represented the only population found to possess an appreciable level of Denisovan genetic ancestry. These Melanesians, like most human populations, also had Neanderthal genetic ancestry.

http://news.yahoo.com/homo-sapiens-sex-extinct-species-no-one-night-012711275.html;_ylt=AwrC1CjvTO1W0yUAth_QtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTBydWNmY2MwBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM0BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--

6 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Does someone have something to share with the group?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Kasich is waiting for others to share first ;-)

ricpic said...

Mixing it up with Neanderthals gave the rest of us that certain somethin'-somethin' the schvartzes lack.

Trooper York said...

What's that?

A job?

Chip Ahoy said...

I have a new system for gaining weight. Goes like this.

The old system was based on body signal. I don't do anything until my body tells me it's hungry. I don't even think about food at all. Then when I can definitely feel hunger I start thinking about it and incipient plans begin to form. This all takes a long time and I'm starving by the time I actually get around to it. And it's often weird hours. This system has failed

To stop the downward weigh loss spiral a the new plan still relies on body signal but now it's different. The new goal is to eat as much food as possible. So the new signal is "is there any room for more food yet?"

I feel like shit.

Seriously. My whole body is stuffed with food from one end of the open digestive tubular system to the other. Completely stuffed with shit in process.

I don't know how overeaters do it. This is horrible.

Oh! Today I took those plastic containers for food storage to restaurants in my backpack. So they don't have to use those styrofoam things. Both told me it was a first for them. But hey, do what you gotta do. Now I have well packaged leftovers.

On the way out this morning I passed Deena center of the hallway. We stopped. I told her where I am going, she told me what she is up to. I get to my door at the street and she gets to her door to the back and yells, Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha I just not got what you said, "stuff my pie hole."

Then that became hilarious to me. That somebody would have to figure out what that means. And it dawning on them. And them finding it funny. The thing itself is not funny, but that is. Very funny. So I enter the street and the bright light of day and the bustling passing pedestrians going both ways, laughing my ass off.

ricpic said...

Takes the stomach about 4 1/2 hours to clear the last meal. So eating every 5 - 6 hours is natural. More frequently than that and you're stuffing yourself.