Thursday, January 7, 2016

Donald Trump loses his campaign soundtrack to Bernie Sanders

"Neil Young snubs Donald Trump, gives “Rockin’ in the Free World” to Bernie Sanders"
Young said in a statement that Trump “was not authorized to use ‘Rockin’ in the Free World’ in his presidential candidacy announcement.” The statement added that, “Neil Young, a Canadian citizen, is a supporter of Bernie Sanders for President of the United States of America.”
Trump’s camp claimed they paid both ASCAP and BMI for rights to the song, but would cease from using it out of respect to Young. The singer, meanwhile, out of respect to his own political beliefs, has turned around and given Trump’s opponent Sanders permission to use “Rockin’ in the Free World”.
The funny thing is, I just so happen to remember a blurb about the song I had read while making an iTunes top 500 greatest songs of all time playlist off Rolling Stone magazine. Which said about the song...
"Don't feel like Satan/But I am to them," Young spat in this raucously ambivalent song about the pride and guilt of being an American. It was inspired by a remark from a member of Crazy Horse, who said gigs were safer in Europe than in the Middle East: "It's better to keep rockin' in the free world." "It was such a cliché," Young said. "I knew I had to use it."
Isn't the inspiration for the song more conceptually in line with "Stop muslims until we can figure out what the hell is going on" Trump, than with Bernie Sanders?

10 comments:

chickelit said...

Well, I hope Neil Young will remember,
a Musselman don't need him around anyhow.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

That's close to the Spanish pronunciation.

Which is close to what this lady said she need it ;)

Link

Chip Ahoy said...

Trump should hire Too Many Zooz that'll blow 'em out of the water. Then they can hook up with Moon Hootch and blow 'em off the continent. And then they can hook up with Ansolo and blow 'em of the planet. They'll be wondering how youngsters surpassed them in power, attraction, gravitas, energy and excellence in music, and they'll be all, "What, what, what happened to my century?" I feel so oooooooooold.

And so tiiiiiirrrrrrreeeeeerrrrrrrd.

And so wooooooorn ooooooout.

And sleeeeeeeeepy.

I'll have a lie down.

*microphone voice* We're so sorry, Uncle Albe ...





Jim in St Louis said...

It is so tedious when you have an artist that makes their own art subservient to their politics. I am not one of the 'shut up and sing' people, I think that artists have a role to act as 'feelers' or 'antennae' that reach out ahead of this moving, blind, wiggling organism that is called society. The real definition of avant-garde.

If one(singer, actor, architect, poet etc) was to say:'Listen, I am an artist, my job is to see things from a different angle, I have a unique vision that I want to share with you, and my perspective gives me an insight that I'll tell you about.' Then I would value that opinion.

But when dickweeds like Neil Young have a amplified voice solely due to celebrity, and he does not even give a reason why Trump does not reflect the spirit of his song, but only cause Young hates him, then I ignore the message.

Southern man don't want him around anyhow.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Excellent, Jim in St Louis.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Actually, Rockin' in the free world is one of Neil's lamest songs.

Trump can do better.

Dad Bones said...

Trump can do better.

I'm thinking he probably paid too much to use it as long as he did.

deborah said...

Great jam.

Meade said...

Let's play — Is it Trump or Is it Titus? :

"South Carolina rally last night was so unbelievably exciting (and fun). I am now off to Iowa for two big rallies - packed houses. Love it!"

Meade said...

Who's the Tweeter: Trump? or Titus?

"I'm leaving now for Burlington, Vermont. It will be fabulous!"