Thursday, December 17, 2015

"Women still outnumbered in medical leadership by men with mustaches"

Washington Post : The study, in short, found that mustaches -- while increasingly rare, with the researchers citing reports that less than 15 percent of men in the United States sport such facial hair -- still outnumber women in positions of medical power.


"We defined a mustache as the visible presence of hair on the upper cutaneous lip and included both stand alone mustaches (for example, Copstash Standard, Pencil, Handlebar, Dali, Supermario) as well as mustaches in combination with other facial hair (for example, Van Dyke, Balbo, The Zappa)," the researchers write in the study. "Department leaders with facial hairstyles that did not include hair on the upper lip (for example, Mutton Chops, Chin Curtain) were considered not to have a mustache. We evaluated each leader for the presence of facial hair regardless of sex."...

And before you get all up in arms about the suggestion that women should outnumber men, stop and think for a second about how few men with mustaches you know. If you don't live in Portland or Brooklyn, chances are pretty good the answer is very very few.

Of the 1,018 medical department leaders examined by the study, only 190 were moustachioed men. But only 130 were women. That's 13 percent women and 19 percent men with visible hair on their upper lip. Bringing the mustache index up to 1 without adding more leadership positions would actually still leave us pretty far from gender parity.

10 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

We got to ban the mustache.

Or at least close the mustache show loophole.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Or hire more post menopausal women and don't let them bleach or shave their lady mustaches.
I've seen some women from non scandinavian types of countries who could easily compete in the facial hair (and leg and arms and elsewhere) arena.

More post menopausal women!!

lol

Chip Ahoy said...

You just reminded me of something horrible, horrible I tell you, too horrible to think about, I must shut it out of my mind.

Goes like this:

Clearing the house I began tossing photographs into a box. I needed a larger box by the end of room one. By room two, another larger box. You see where this is going. I wanted all photographs in one place and by the last room that place turned out to be the largest box I could find that dominated the center of my sister's bedroom. It was about 1/2 to 3/4 filled. Photos in frames, in albums singles, on rolls, contact sheets, parents as children, all their relatives, history of places, work places, radar sites, air bases, electronics, cousins, children, grand children, grandparents, the entire history of photography and cameras right there in a box. All manner of photographs and home photography. Dozens of types of cameras. And there is one period where all photographs of my mother capture her at her worst. A period lasting an unhappy few years. Her eyes are both darkened and bugged out. You now something is seriously wrong with this woman. You can tell by the photographs in series the woman is mental.

Worse than Thelma and Louise.

You just know something is wrong. Something terrible, drastic, right around the corner, some disruption. Drugs. Heroine. Crack. Something legal.

I recall Dad complaining a lot for awhile and he has his own unhappy version of the story and we always said, "Oh Dad, shut up already. Quit wearing us out with your life's decisions." But after seeing the photographs in a group I then thought, "Oh Man."

AllenS said...

positions of medical power

WTF is that supposed to mean?

ampersand said...

FWIW Hillary's got a beard.

ricpic said...

Moustaches are out of fashion. Which is why people find something wrong with them. When they're back in fashion those same people will notice how masculine a moustache is. I've had a moustache for forty years. In other words my moustache is older than Lem. Which is probably why Lem ditched the great Dali quote that used to grace this site and now puts up platitudinous quotes that are supposed to wow us. Although I must admit that Dali's moustache was a bit much. What else? A properly trimmed moustache is not a soup strainer. It takes two minutes, tops, to trim a moustache. This only has to be done once every three days. Moustache can be spelled mustache but moustache is the traditional spelling and because mous is pronounced mus, the contrary and therefore more appealing spelling.

ampersand said...

I wore a moustache way past it's fashionable date. One day at the grocers deli I looked up and saw a familiar looking old guy watching me. I pulled out my glasses to get a better look and realized it was my reflection in the mirror behind the deli. I shaved off my moustache that night. I look about twenty years younger.

AllenS said...

Sridhar, wait until Titus comments. He needs some serious help.

Aridog said...

That dude's mustache is not a mustache, it is a beard. My old Army NCO's, in the 60's, before I became one myself, said anything below the lip line was a beard...and forbidden. Of course, everyone then tried hard to see how many millimeters below the lip line they could get away with...damn Navy guys got to wear real beards in those days due to Zumwalt. Today, I don't know...I see a lot of shaggy Army and Marine dudes here and there. If you're to fight in the land of beards, why not?

Me? I grew a mustache & beard around 1995 or so...got tired of shaving and cut the chore in half. Lazy ass that I am :-)

Aridog said...

Hey Allen quit inviting that fool "Titus" :-))

His "gay" 15 minutes were up about a decade ago...plus I think he's mostly fraud anyway. A troll in other words. I know, and am friends with, a number or gay folks and none resemble that fool.