Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Nixon and bowling




















"If you’ve ever seen The Big Lebowski, you’ll recognise this photograph of President Richard Nixon bowling, which infamously loomed over the Dudes tiki bar in the cult Coen brothers film. It is in fact a real photograph of Nixon and as I recently discovered, in 1969 the former President added his own secret one-lane bowling alley in the basement of the the White House just a few years before the Watergate scandal broke– and it’s still there today."

http://www.messynessychic.com/2015/08/19/bowling-with-mr-president-beneath-the-white-house/

4 comments:

AllenS said...

I'll bet that Nixon can out bowl 0bama.

Looking at that picture of Nixon, I see a strike.

ricpic said...

Considering that a black ball is used to knockdown white pins you'd think Obama would be salivating to use that lane. But alas, he doesn't -- bowling is déclassé.

ndspinelli said...

I went to a college bowling tournament @ Schwoegler Bowling Center in Madison last week. My son-in-laws brother is on scholarship for a college in Iowa. He bowled well, had a 230 game w/ no open frames. There were schools from all over the Midwest. Indy and Vegas have the large nationwide tournaments. Bowling is a great clue collar sport. You could tell all these kids were from blue collar families. The tournament in Vegas is next month. The South Pointe Resort has 64 lanes. The tournament is there and @ the Orleans. I took my kids bowling @ the Orleans when they were young. That's where Jerry Lewis performed. I last bowled in a league when I lived in KC. Black folk love to bowl as well. I don't follow professional bowling. I wonder if there are any black guys on the circuit. It was about bowling that Obama made the non PC comment that he bowls like a Special Olympian. I bowled big pin and duckpins when I was a kid. Duckpins you get 3 balls per frame. There are no holes in the ball. They are about as big as a shot put. It's a good game for kids, but many adults were into Duckpins as well.

Just some bowling musings.

deborah said...

Me, too, Allen.

Nick, I was surprised to find my cousin and her husband are in a league. Just never figured her for the type. I need to get out more, maybe I'll join a very non-serious one.

I bowled in a league when I was a teen, wasn't too good, can't even remember my best score.

Ricpic, drop and give a haiku.