Sunday, December 13, 2015

Hello.....is it tea you are looking for?


AllenS was talking about his green tea in the comments and I have a lot to say about it. I have to limit my coffee consumption as I have to lay low on caffeine because of my bum ticker. So I have been doing a lot of herbal tea and have learned a lot  about it.

Now processed teas that you buy in tea bags are not washed before they are packages. So they often contain dangerous levels of pesticides in each teabag. In addition you know what is one of the most dangerous ingredients in your typical tea bag? Fluoride.  This is what stains your teeth bags. It is also really not good for you in general. The fluoride added to drinking water is minuscule compared to the natural fluoride content of many teas.

Even worse is the way they treat the tea bags. The big time commercial tea bags are treated with epichlorohyrin which is a plastic that helps to keep the bags from breaking. The problem is that epicholorohyrin can potentially break down in water to be released into the water. Water with high levels of this toxic chemical can cause severe stomach pain as well as a highly increase risk of cancer.


Your best bet is organic teas which are not treated with a lot of these pesticides. But even some well know brands are not great. Such brands as Yogi and Celestial Seasonings are really pretty bad.
Lipton? Fuggeddabout it. The all around best is Organic Traditional Medicinals. It is available on Amazon in bulk which is how I buy it because that is how I use it.

I am up to about five or six cups of tea a day. I know that sounds like a lot but I used to do that in coffee. Then beer. So tea is not so bad. I think.

I generally start with a good English breakfast tea to start the day. Then an echinacea to ward off the cooties. A couple of green teas during the day. A nice Chamomile to end the day and mellow out. I also enjoy some more obscure types to mix it up. Dandelion. Peppermint. Nettle. A huge goup of different types.

You know what is sick? I was going to throw out my expensive humidor where I used to store my cigars. Instead I fixed it up to hold the tea.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Hey Trooper....I have to cut back on coffee too for a while, stomach ulcer flare up. I'll be back to my 3 cups in the morning soon.

Instead of tea bags use some of these Swedish tea balls. (snicker) Loose leaf tea is better flavored than the pre bagged crap.

If I'm making a pot I use two tea balls.



rcocean said...

I just switched to Decaf coffee. Got used to it.