Wednesday, July 29, 2015

salmon and noodles


A woman is freaking me out. She spent all day and part of yesterday, and she's still at it, going through an archived album, a large one, "favoriting" photos. We get those, favoriting of photographs, a few here and there, everybody does but this is ridiculous. Looking through what she favorited I get hungry all over again and I'm thinking, Jeeze, I've been doing really well with the variety of meals around here. It is a wonder that I'm so scrawny. Look how that swirls. Doesn't it look fun? Who thinks of pecans with salmon? Yet it looks delicious right now. I could make this right now.  

There are some 18 per page and she's run up 25 pages so far, hang on, 450 photographs favorited. This is just showing what my mail looks like. The two emails underneath are her (automatic notifications) as well. I'm monitoring her monitoring me. Who spends all day doing such things? 

I bet she's thinking, "goodness he'd make a wonderful husband." 

I'd make her do the dishes. 


Mum would ask, "Honey, what should I make for dinner tonight?" She was genuinely at a loss for ideas. Maybe that's it. ping. There she is again. She just now favorited

hamburger snack twice
meatloaf twice
Phat thai
shrimp grits
pork roast
pizza twice
tonkatsu twice
rotini, beef and vegetables twice
meatloaf sandwich twice
meatballs three times, oh man, those look good
roast twice
snack
salad (shrimp and avocado is showing)
steak, eggs, biscuit, blueberries twice
Thai noodles

Thai noodles must be with crunchy peanut butter, I bet. A pretty good bet because I did it. Not a bad sampling for a regular bloke. Extremely varied. I could write a couple books with all this material.  I mean, I got no formal training. Autodidactic dontchaknow it's the way to go.

Then there's food styling. And photography too. It's not just a one-sided deal. I notice Ina Garten preparing a dish and throughout the whole thing she is photographed professionally and artistically creatively, the shots of the chopping action from behind the bunch of basil, the splat of the egg on the pan, the puff of flour when the mixer is turned on, everything on the set just so, then Ina whips out a pocket camera, flash, a simple straightforward dead-on flat light, harsh shadow photo for her blog that works perfectly well and I wonder after all that personal touch with food with her personal artistic sensibility and taste why that same creative energy and focus is not applied with the camera. You think it would naturally. The same thing she applies to the garden. She's decided it's unimportant. ping. There she is again. Man, she is on me.

But c'mon, look at that photo of pecans and noodles. I forgot there is salmon in there. I bet it's delicious. It looks like teriyaki or something. Something darkened with soy sauce and sweetened to counterbalance the salt.  I wonder what I did. It looks great. I'm hungry.

No comments: