Thursday, July 16, 2015

19 kids and counted out!


The Duggar family got canceled today. TLC pulled the plug on the reality show about the family of 19 who tried to promote family values but were caught up in a scandal. You see one of the children who is now an adult had touched girls inappropriately whatever that means. Including two of his sisters so you had an extra incest element to make it even more icky.

Now as some of you know I am just about the biggest fan of reality shows around. I even had one with my wife on TLC. So I know a little about the game. Even though I have never seen this paticular show. The name change but the game remains the same.

What they do in reality shows is try to make money off of you. You can be a housewife from New Jersey with vague mob ties, a big family with multiple births, trailer park trash with a foul mouthed kid pagent contender or midgets. It is all exploitation. The people who film it have an enormous amount of contempt for the people who are the "stars of the show." Be you an Italian from Brooklyn or a trailer park trash family from Alabama. They hate you. Have not doubt. They think they are so far above you that you don't count as a human being. No matter who they are in the reality game. Producers. Cameramen. Executive. Now in reality these guys are really the dregs of society. They might be minimally competent at their jobs but they are filthy dirty bums who try to get over on the production and the people around them. They wear the same freaking clothes for weeks at time. They don't shave and half the time they don't wash. So you can be sure they were happy to throw these guys under the bus.

It is pretty interesting that they are canceling this series because of the actions of one member of this enormous family. One member who confessed his crimes and got counseling and has not done anything like this since he was a young teenager. I think if he molested young girls it is reprehensible although he was around 14 years old at time. Younger than Lena Dunham who of course is the toast of the town. No excuses for this mook because if he was guilty of a crime they should prosecute him.

Plenty of other "reality stars" have bad stuff on their resumes. I mean look at the Kardashians. They have three shows and the father chopped off his balls and became a broad. Him they give a medal. Or multiple Real Housewives who get drunk and arrested or are sent up the river for taxes and the like. They keep their show.

It is of course because of the "hypocrisy." The Duggar present themselves as Christians with family values. So if they fall short they have to be attacked and crucified. Run off of TV and disappeared. I understand. Their son made a big mistake.

He wasn't gay.

12 comments:

edutcher said...

They would live Keeping Up With Caitlyn or Dunham Knows Best, no doubt.

Leland said...

I think the last show I saw on TLC was "What not to Wear", and I quit watching it about the time the "Little People, Big World" came out (checked IMDB, so 2005). I remember it, because my daughter were interested in the midgets, and I think they took the right message from that family. Still, it was obvious that TLC made the show to exploit that family. It is at that point that I started to see the exploitation in "What not to Wear". For certain, the days of "Trading Spaces" and other quality programming were long gone. Really, for all of the Discovery Channel networks, the only show that I'll tune in is "Mythbusters", and I suspect its days are numbered.

Methadras said...

Exploitation is about right because in the end, even in these shows, the relationships utterly collapse. Sure, a lot of these couples had issues before they become even Z-Listers, so when the spotlight on them finally shines, they all crumble. How many dead bodies has the entertainment industry chewed through? It's all there.

rcocean said...

You're actually right about the Gay thing. If he'd "Inappropriately touched" a couple of his brother while 14 y/o the liberals would be supporting him. Give him his own show.

Of course, they'd still cancel the 19 Kids program because those 'Christers' put him the closet and kept him from being Gay for last 14 years.

rcocean said...

Its amazing how nasty and greedy a lot of show biz people are. Surprising, given they are basically getting paid money to dress up and entertain people.

ricpic said...

I think Bruce still has his equipment. Yes? No?

bagoh20 said...

I want to be exploited. I want diddled. I want drugged and raped (in moderation of course). I want to be called a racial slur, but mostly I want paid. I do not want a parade, a holiday for people like me, or respect. I do not want forgiven, unless there is a bonus check for that.

WTFIWWM?

What The Fuck Is Wrong With Me?

bagoh20 said...

"I think Bruce still has his equipment. Yes? No?"

Yes, and he said he's hetero. I do not understand that nor the scenario it implies. How many women want a fake girl with a dong? Did he do any market research on this?

Leland said...

Actually, there is one exploited group of people I do enjoy watching on the Discovery network. It was good to see the Gold Rush guys finally figure out how to mine, sort of.

William said...

I've been trying to sell this show for years. A team of different celebrity chefs, resort operators, and beauty contestants entertain me for a week. Every month, I pick a winner, At the end of the year, the twelve winners compete again to entertain me. This time they're given two weeks to be more thorough in their presentation. Then I pick the grand winner.........Lots of suspense and human interest. For diversity's sake, I picture a number of mix and match teams. The semi finalists in the Miss Teen Brazil pageant will join forces with a Scottish hunting lodge and a BBQ chef to keep me happy. The next week Victoria Secret models will band together with a Bali resort and a chef who's mastered rustic Italian cooking to keep me happy.. It will be interesting to see how these disparate groups can find ways to work together to enhance my enjoyment of life. It will not just be fun to watch but educational as well.

AllenS said...

When you're one in nineteen, you gotta act up to be noticed.

windbag said...

These are the same people who hail Roman Polanski as a hero.