Friday, June 12, 2015

KLEM FM



My memory is clear on where I first heard this song. I was with my older brother at some stereo shop in Madison. It could have been at the brand new West Towne Mall. In those days (1973), stereo shops always had the latest albums to show off the latest equipment. That's where I (we) first heard it. My brother bought it. The one thing I recall about the album jacket was the gold-embossed lettering of the band's name and the "Queen Crest" (designed by Freddie Mercury). Anybody else out there seen one of those? 

5 comments:

chickelit said...

And I was lucky to see them in their heyday: 1st column, 4th down

chickelit said...

So much of their future music was foreshadowed by that song: chord changes, breaks, etc.

Chip Ahoy said...

It has properly trained in classic music aspects to it, classic aspects applied to rock, right off, that is consistent in later music. That's what it sounds like to me knowing nothing but what you've told me. I never heard this before. I never did get into Queen until that drunk guy sang operatically handcuffed in the back of the police cruiser and the cops outside were so amused they just let him finish instead of interrupting with their mundane policing proceedings such a fantastic sad drunk show. And I thought, Man, that's good. The drunk guy and the cops see something I don't. Since then I've come to accept their in-your-face overtly homosexual band name, and the debilitating overbite and appreciate what they did.

Methadras said...

I have this album still. Man, I miss queen.

chickelit said...

Apparently, only the first 1000 pressing in the US had the gold embossed print, See here under "Notes".

I hope that album isn't mouldering in my brother's basement.

Since then I've come to accept their in-your-face overtly homosexual band name, and the debilitating overbite and appreciate what they did.

I had no clue about the gayness of the band at the time. That all came out much later. It didn't seem to change a thing when it did. They still rocked.