Sunday, May 10, 2015

"What do you actually want for Mother's day?"

Moms of Reddit:
Moms, we love to get you things for mother's day, but it's hard sometimes, because maybe you have more money than us and get everything you want, or maybe you have interests you don't talk about, or maybe you just don't like many things?

I once got my mother a 6 pack of craft beer and a box of dark chocolate and she thought it was a great gift.

So here is your chance. What would make a great gift for you (bonus points if it is not a common thing!) 
Top 3 comments...
I have a 20 yr old in college, and he has no money. So a lovely card with a handwritten note saying he appreciates me, and listing some reasons why would be all I want. And maybe cook me breakfast.

What's better than that?

A professional massage. I've been so stressed chasing after the kids, it would be really helpful. Also, a nice meal with my family... Thai or Vietnamese would be perfect.

My daughter is a 12 year old smart ass. I would like one day without her sassing back at me. That is all.

11 comments:

ricpic said...

Take Mom out to dinner so she doesn't have to slave over a hot stove 365! ha ha ha.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

That sort of banal, underappreciated, put-upon wife-and-mother stuff was a major theme in the early days of Mad Men.

"Who couldn't be happy with all this???"

Don Draper's take on Betty's problems wasn't helping any.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I just called my mother.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

She doesn't have a smart phone, so that means no texting.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I did send he a card with some scribbling ;)

Shouting Thomas said...

My momma is a holdout from the computer revolution. All she wants is a physical Mom's Day card in the mail.

I wrote about her today.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

JK Simmons, at the academy awards, asked that we call our mothers.

Chip Ahoy said...

I do not know the answer to this vexing question.

Mum would say something like, "All my children called." And she would be well pleased.

Then, "All my children called except Barry." And she'd still be pleased except harbor that nick against Barry.

Then Dad would ask, "Do you know who gave you those flowers?"

"Ummm. You?"

"No, Barry sent those."

"Oh."

Then, "All the children called except Barry."

I'd give my mum and my grandmotherly landlady the same bouquet of flowers.

Actually, I'd buy grocery story flowers with extra leaves and white dot scrap twigs and arrange the same bouquets from them. The landlady's bouquets were carefully tended, re-cut each day, the water refreshed, an aspirin (?) included. They'd last well beyond their expiration date. She just loved those flower bouquets. Conversely, the same flower bouquet to my mum was consigning the poor thing to certain immediate death. But Mum liked getting flowers so much she let the flower corpses rot right there in the vase as she observed them turn limp, curl over, dry out and turn brown over days. It's an unsolvable conundrum.

I think it gets down to mere attention, but not too much of it.

Our household was cluttered with handmade mother's day gifts. They cannot be thrown out.

Until they can.

One day I drove up to the house and encountered a fair-like atmosphere. Mum and two sisters were having a garage sale clearing the place out and I'm always for that.

But there among the objects was a medium sized clay vase. With a dripped turquoise glaze. A very nice classical shape. A bit heavy for its style. It was the first thing I successfully threw on a potter's wheel. I must say I was wounded seeing it not valued at all. Oh well.

There is still TONS of other crap. Can you imagine? One of my sibs has a 32 piece nativity set. Joseph and Mary and Jesus and the sheep and camels all have blue eyes because when my 12 year old self thinks of eyes he thinks of little blue dots.

AllenS said...

I'd like to have mother Christi Brinkley for Mother's day.

edutcher said...

My mother would have liked me to amount to something.

I hope I did.

At least in her eyes.

rcommal said...

LOL. You guys.