Saturday, February 21, 2015

KLEM FM


I've been a Bob Mould fan since the '80's and have seen various incarnations of his bands over the years. But I just saw this reincarnation of Hüsker Dü. It captures what they were like just before breaking up.

Lyrics after the jump
Barren lands and barren minds, ice cold ice
In another place and time, ice cold ice
I feel I've never known myself, ice cold ice
Frozen in the sand again, ice cold ice

Well, see the blank expressions, waiting for progression
Standing still in place and time, no one's moving
They're only standing still in ice cold ice, cold ice
Only standing still in ice cold ice

Well, all machines and all are one, ice cold ice
Well, catching up on what's been done, ice cold ice
Stealing glimpses from the past, ice cold ice
Well, these impressions always last, ice cold ice

Well, never penetrating, always contemplating
We sit and count the blessings, but we're blessed by icons
No one else could trust in ice cold ice, cold ice, cold ice
Only standing still in ice cold ice

Stay together till the end, ice cold ice
Thinking you might be a friend, ice cold ice

We sit and pray together that they might change the weather
My love for you will never die, if I sound distant that's because
Shouldn't see me cry in ice cold ice
Shouldn't see me cry in ice cold ice

Shouldn't see me cry in ice cold ice
Shouldn't see me cry in ice cold ice

You shouldn't see me cry in ice cold ice
Shouldn't see me cry in ice cold ice
Shouldn't see me cry in ice cold ice
You shouldn't see me, you shouldn't see

18 comments:

chickelit said...

Which band member(s) look(s) gay: link?

bagoh20 said...

What do you call that genre - the thing with the continuous all string strumming of chords with vocals that are kind of like cheerleaders doing a cheer? I have to admit that I don't like it. It's boring to me. Not enough melody, or tempo changes. It all sounds the same to my ancient ears.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

I'm with Bagoh on this one. A little too head bangy for me.
I do appreciate that the musicians are clearly having a good time rocking out.

chickelit said...

Stop looking at Dave Grohl's head. He does that in every band he plays with since his Nirvana days.

But you're right to call Grohl a "cheerleader" of sorts. He spends a lot of time and energy seeking out past bands -- many of them obscure -- and promoting them. I think that is positive, overall.

I would call Bob Mould's musical genre "Metallic Angst" (he's the heavier set guy with no hair). He styles himself more as melodic rage.

chickelit said...

I think of Hüsker Dü as "proto-Grunge." But so too were Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Link Wray, et al.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

You're right, Chickelit. It is better if you don't focus on Dave Grohl's bobbing head.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

This is more my speed.

I just realized that KD Lang looks a little like Julian Lennon.

chickelit said...

@April: I see and hear some Brian Ferry in k.d. Lang!

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

Yes - I agree! Brian Ferry. Two vocal styles that send me over the moon.

AllenS said...

Music not for me.

chickelit said...

@AllenS: It was hardcore Minneapolis in origin if that helps.

AllenS said...

I know that. In my younger days, that's where I used to hang out. West Bank -
Cedar Riverside. One of my part time jobs in the late sixties/early seventies was as a security guard for bands. I knew two people very well who put on these concerts. I didn't care for most of the music bank then either.

chickelit said...

One day I'd like to hear what kind of music you like, Allen.

AllenS said...

Using the Amazon thing on this blog, I just bought Luther Vandross's Greatest Hits about 2 weeks ago.

Titus said...

chick, I like how you post something and then are the biggest commentator.

tits.

chickelit said...

@Titus: All but one of my comments here (including this one) were in response to other commenters. Unlike you, I respond to questions.

Now do tell us what was up with your lashing out at Trooper in a previous comment thread.

AllenS said...

His tits get caught in the wringer.

AllenS said...

I listen to a radio station out of River Falls, WI that plays "adult contemporary music."