Sunday, January 25, 2015

'Mistakes People Make In Their 30s'

Quora users discussed lessons they learned in the thread: "What is the biggest mistake you made in your 30s and what did you learn from it?"

Here are some of the best responses:
They don't spend enough time with their aging parents.

Entrepreneur and blogger James Altucher, who is now 46, writes about a particularly difficult memory for him: "When I was 34 I hung up the phone on my dad in an argument and never returned his calls. Six months later he had a stroke and died.

They put their career ahead of family and friends.

"Don't just work. Make memories. The older you get, the harder it is to make meaningful relationships. Foster those while you're young," writes Microsoft product designer Michael Dorian Bach, who is now in his late 30s.

They miss the chance to have kids.

CEO coach Alison Whitmire shares a personal story about how she took getting pregnant for granted in her 30s and chose to pursue a new career opportunity instead of trying to have a child. Years later, after a failed pregnancy and then a failed marriage, she remarried and had a baby at 43. She realizes now that no one is ever adequately prepared to have a child, and if you want one, it's best to do so before it's too late.

13 comments:

ricpic said...

She was confident about getting pregnant in her thirties? Lots more bad eggs by then.

And who says parents' tongues are hanging out to see their thirtysomething offspring more often? They're probably happy to be well out of it by then.

Shouting Thomas said...

I'm such a fortunate man.

In memory of the great and astonishing Ernie Banks, I will be gloriously happy with the fact that I got the chance to play the game.

Let's Play Two!

I succeeded on 2 out of 3 of the mistakes list, so I'm doing pretty good. Got kids. Kept my priorities straight and spent all the time I could with my kids. I moved so far away from my mom and dad, so I didn't get the time with them.

What can you do? I am a sinner. But I have beautiful children and grandchildren. (Twins on the way!)

edutcher said...

In other words, the old values.

WV "ichow" Glo-zell Green meets Apple.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

There's a lot of bad advice out there.

chickelit said...

Career's arrears and fears

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Career's arrears and fears

Ha ha... you know, your last FM post could have used the Yogi Berra tag.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

That was a good post btw.

bagoh20 said...

I really can't think of anything I did that I really regret. That goes for most of my life. I do regret shagging a few women who I had no feelings for. It didn't hurt me, but I respect myself less for it, and wish I had skipped it.

I sometimes think I should regret never having my own children, but I just can't work up a real disappointment about it. I did raise someone else's, and they are still part of my life everyday now, even in their thirties. They seem to love and respect me like a real dad, but the whole passing on of genes and seeing your genetics grow into a new person is a pretty cool thing that I wish I did.

I don't have any real regrets in life except not aiming higher in all things by avoiding distraction and wasted time. Anything worth doing is worth doing with passion and ambition, but there just isn't enough time in a life, so I guess I regret choosing to be a mere human rather than an immortal God, which was offered, and I still have the option.

bagoh20 said...

Oh yea, I do wish I had tried heroin at least once.

Titus said...

Work and money are everything

Stock Options, Bonuses, Promotions, Salary Increases=happiness.

No career=no life.

thank you
tits.

Fr Martin Fox said...

I agree with the three suggestions in the article.

I did pretty well with my friends, but could have done so much better. I've had some great friends I've lost touch with, long ago.

As far as spending time with parents? Yes. Both are gone now, and nearly every day I wish I could be with them again. There are so many questions I wish I'd asked, and so many things they told me, I wish I'd listened to more closely, so that I could remember them now.

ricpic said...

Hey Titus, you've got enough money to be suckered into paying $1200 to watch an ice skater. Sucker.

rhhardin said...

It helps to save enough so that you don't have to do a job with an eye to career advancement but with an eye to making it a hobby.

You become independent of managers.

I happened to like physics, math and programming, in combination.

See also, avoidance of the Peter Principle, as he recommends : screw up enough in clever ways so as to make yourself not advancement material.

Wearing Bermudas does the trick and is comfortable.