Monday, January 19, 2015

Amaranthus


They germinated overnight, it seems, certainly within twenty-four hours. They appeared to be growing moss but that turned out to be fuzzy roots on top of the soil. I sprinkled perlite over them to give their fuzzy roots cover and their tops a clear way up. This is three days. They grow up very fast to be this plant below, also called 'Love Lies Bleeding." Is that romantic or what?


Droopy and a little bit sad, but still sufficiently cartoonish to be mixed with other things. It's sad because it needs other things. It needs to be part of something, not its own single sad droopy entity.

Planted next to them in the tray above and planted thinner but still crowded, are two envelopes of mixed Celosia seeds. Also known as 'fire plant' due to the blooms looking like flames in orange, red, yellow, and pink.


I recall having insignificant luck with both of these plants years ago. They did grow but not spectacularly. The seeds are quite old Maybe more than five years. I am amazed they germinated so fast.


This basil is fast too. One of the fastest around and planted very densely. What the heck? Why fool around?

You cannot have too much basil. You can always reduce it to pesto. It's nice having out there, the smell releases when you brush past it. Just touching it gets the smell on you. This will be planted here and there and all over. With tomatoes, and with eggplant and with flowers all in the same pot.



These are large morning glory seeds. Already a large seed, if you soak them overnight they swell considerably and germinate right away. The flowers close by afternoon depending on the light situation.


These make vines, drop seeds, and tend to go rampant when not contained. They were bought to replace the propeller polyanthus that looks so attractively cartoonish but is unavailable, with a contrasting yellow center and white outlined petals. But that was one photo reproduced several times and none of the sites led to seeds. And nobody I contacted knew anything about them but everyone acted interested to know.

Finally, in an attempt to provide backup for dodgy polyanthus getting off to a late start, the lace variety like this except less cartoonish colors, I discovered the same thing by another name 'cobalt polyanthus.' I searched [polyanthus seeds] on eBay and cobalt polyanthus is included in results. I believe it is another photo of the same thing. I had just looked. So looking twice with so little time between looks, that is, behaving neurotically, paid off this time.


Original photo copied many times and pinned all over the place ↑.

New seeds offered on eBay. I believe a new photo of the same plant. I bought three packages of seeds ↓. So we'll see what happens. These can take 4 to 6 weeks to germinate. They're tiny seeds too. If they grow, and if I can grow them in enough places, then I'll get a better photo than this.


And I'm thinking, shouldn't I be thinking about serious things? Shouldn't I be anticipating analyzing State of the Union speech or something?

In the way Saturday Night Live was funny, the skit comes to an abrupt halt, the action stops and our main character steps forward as if uniquely struck with epiphany that he verbalizes to the audience taking all beyond the premises constraining the skit he stepped out of.

"Could it be that we've reached a new age, a new beginning, where our unfounded superstitions give way to new means of steady inquiry wherein new ideas are presented as hypothesis and tested with the results of the testing reported and conferred and re-tested by different scientific teams, and by these systems of observation and testing and confirmation termed scientific method, perhaps usher a new way of thinking, a new age, a rebirth,  a... a... a renaissance.

*dumbfounded conclusion*

"Naaaaaaah."

Why would I think about the State of The Union speech, what am I, masochist? Do I look like I have tickets to Gas Light Theater? He's your troll, you feed him.

If I were serious-minded person, I'd serious-mindedly prepare boxes of clothes for Goodwill and seriously clear out the walk-through closet to hold different stuff!

An altogether better class of stuff. Old paintings and art instead of old clothes. A serious minded person will already have all that sorted.

From my point of view I make myself resentful by making myself listen when I know already that I'm being trolled. Trolled on a national level and I'm tired of it.  I want executives to be boring, not a gigantic pain in the beaut-tox for everybody. Narcissists should be starved of oxygen.

Not that Dems hold the monopoly on those. It makes me ill that I must hear the name "Bush." I didn't vote for his brother the first time for the same reason, because his dad was president, and you do not do that. One president per family and that's it. Everyone else is immediately disqualified. It's a personal thing You don't hire somebody's son just because. There is nothing magical in the name, in any name. Governing traits are not conferred. Collectively we give these families this unique power. I do not know why we do it. It does not makes sense.

That's why it was so fun conversely, denying somebody like Kerry, back then, who knows in their cells that they are entitled that they were born to it, that everything in their life points to greatness, it's due them, they of the family of senators, and governors, and presidents. It's fun to deny them.

Really fun.

It's not just me thinking it either. I think I got these ideas elsewhere. From knowing people who were entitled and merely entitled with no real cogent qualities recommending them and seeing firsthand in realtime on Twitter and other social media, how others react to such obvious and famous nepotism as Luke Russert straight on with, "We all know you'd be unknown were it not for your last name." Russert was caught up in his reporting of non-institutional conservatives who had just delivered to Republicans both House and Senate along with full governance throughout the land, under probation, referring to them as "clown show."

Maybe Luke Russert saw a tea-party type dressed up as Uncle Sam. Another as Sam Adams, or maybe Benjamin Franklin. There are a lot of characters out there that show up in a party mode. Maybe Luke Russert saw one of those clowns.

16 comments:

ricpic said...

The minute I read "cartoonish" in terms of the Amaranthus, I thought, "Crackhead Bob!" His hair.

Chip Ahoy said...

Ha! I didn't think of that but it's perfect.

Unknown said...

You cannot have too much basil.

Agreed. Catnip for humans.

Unknown said...

The real clown show is the media- the one-party promotion "media". Not really media, per-say - anymore. Just narrative and manipulations.

rcocean said...

To give Bush II some credit, Bush I wasn't really that popular and he went out of his way to differentiate himself from Dad. Texas vs. New England, Conservative vs. Moderate, Lots of "God talk" vs. Dad's Episcopalian reticence.

It was sorta like Herbert Hoover II running for President as a Populist.

Synova said...

I bought a 4 tube shop light and "daylight" bulbs to start my tomatoes. Planted a bunch of seeds from 2010 so I hope they germinate, particularly as it's a bit chilly in this room. I oughta get a heater for them.

It's only January. I may have jumped the gun just a little bit. But if they don't germinate I suppose I'll have time to order new seeds.

rcommal said...

From my point of view I make myself resentful by making myself listen when I know already that I'm being trolled. Trolled on a national level and I'm tired of it. I want executives to be boring, not a gigantic pain in the beaut-tox for everybody. Narcissists should be starved of oxygen.

Amen.

chickelit said...

Narcissists should be starved of oxygen.

That just makes them shout "I Can't Breathe!" You have to take the verb all the way to the root.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

All of our Siam Queen died early last summer.

All of our other basils did just fine.

A real head-scratcher.

JAL said...

See those celosia? I want something that looks like that.

But the planting instructions always seem to be to plant them what seems to be way too far apart.

So do I need to make sure they are watered well with MiracleGro?

Bleach Drinkers Curing Coronavirus Together said...

Sexy photos!

rcommal said...

You have to take the verb all the way to the root.

No, chickelit, in fact I do not [have to].

Been there, done that (years ago, and there was no purchase in nor point to it, as I was totally "learned" and "schooled" in order to be taught it).

rcommal said...

Thereafter.

rcommal said...

I don't have to do anything, just as everybody else doesn't have to do anything. Let's be clear about this, chickelit.

rcommal said...

bought a 4 tube shop light and "daylight" bulbs to start my tomatoes. Planted a bunch of seeds from 2010 so I hope they germinate, particularly as it's a bit chilly in this room. I oughta get a heater for them.

It's only January. I may have jumped the gun just a little bit. But if they don't germinate I suppose I'll have time to order new seeds.


^

Something worth paying attention to, among other growing things and the folks who nurture them.

rcommal said...

Sowing, reaping, and all of that, and all ...