Thursday, December 11, 2014

Aerogarden

I just now bought 2 sets of 3 compact fluorescent lights made to fit my two Aerogarden units. I intend to start up one of the units and leave the other idle for now. I also put together an herb combination for its 7 compartments. I'm better at planning now that I know how they grow. The thing that amazed me is at checkout the buyer is offered several shipping options, I recall the list a bit unusual: regular shipping, two day shipping, overnight, and economy, I think 5 to 10 days. The machines have been sitting there unused, I'm in no hurry, so I opted for slowest of all. The box arrived within two days.

Aerogarden is having a holiday sale. Their mailer said 20% off all orders. The offer  is repeated throughout the sales booklet. I usually throw those things away, but this time I read it to catch up with developments. Also, free shipping for orders over $50.00. That is why I bought 2 sets of lights (6 fluorescents) where one set is needed immediately. Mine still light up well enough for photography but they are not strong enough for plants to grow best. Their online checkout system did not calculate the discount. I wrote them, "Apply the discount or don't apply the discount, but for goodness sake make it clear which items qualify."

It occurred to me after I emailed all those discounts might apply only to their hydroponic units, not to replacement lights nor to their seed kits. Oops.

They emailed back immediately and applied the discount, and I'm not even sure they were supposed to. That is my experience with their customer service. They bend over backwards to please cranky customers. Like me.

Previously I complained about a seed pod not germinating. They replaced it.I complained about one of the three light fixtures failing. They replaced the whole top. So far, their customer service has been 100% responsive and beyond to any complaint I come up with. It makes me feel a bit of a jerk for being so difficult to please and so complainy.

I bought stock in this company a long time ago because I thought the whole idea was fun. I researched first. I studied the highs and lows of its stock price and saw that it followed a regular pattern along with two central holidays. The pattern ran reliably from around $4.00 a share to upwards of $9.00 a share. I could have fun buying and selling twice a year, reliably doubling each time. So I popped for it. A lot, actually.

The company president lives in Boulder and by my reading seemed to me something of a hippy type. I imagined him wrapped up in his idea as I would be and brought the whole thing to fruition, a labor of real love. I imaged him sticking with his commercial project through his hippy old age. I presumed far too much. Immediately after I bought stock he sold the company. The new majority owners and new management sold off a huge chunk of common stock to raise capital in order to make significant changes. The company operated in the red for quite some time and now that my stock is diluted its price took a nosedive, like this:


They no longer even qualified for NYSE. Junk stock. Penny stock. I lost interest in following. I have no idea what it is worth, nor if they are back on the exchange. I decided to keep the stock anyway, to not just bite it and take the loss, rather, hang on and see what happens. After all, I liked the idea at the beginning and I still do, more than the company president does or did, apparently. He turned out to be pure businessman, built his company then cashed in and took off, not to be heard of again.

The new management hooked up with Scotts Miracle-Gro fertilizer. Another company I like. That combination opened new possibilities for outlets of retail sales. They developed new marketing means. And most importantly they developed new lines of product. Some of their new units at the time were cute as bugs. Made in the shape of bugs. Ladybird bugs. All those smaller units are all cute as can be, soccer balls, flying saucers, cow pattern, what have you. They might have dropped some of those and kept only the best sellers.

Now the super jazzed up top of the line fluorescent type that I own are the old style, almost obsolete. Their new line uses LED lights. Their tippy-top of the line costs less than mine did back then. Plus the lights needn't be replaced, a significant savings over time. The whole setup is much better than before. Fluorescents wear out, although still very bright, their brightness diminishes somewhat so for best results they should be replaced. But I do not do that. I limp along with weakened light and the units work okay, just not as good as they could. The lights are proprietary, they do not fit anything else, and that bums me out. Apart from the two Aerogardens, I have two cheap 40W fluorescents in shop fixtures aimed at a poinsettia in regular potting soil that is doing better than it would in a window with strong but mostly indirect winter light. I considered using those instead.

I must say, the new management team is doing everything right. They introduced a whole line of cute small girlish units suitable for children, and made their super units even more super duper while keeping prices suppressed. This encourages repeat sales of their seed kits. They extended their seed kits to include more herbs, more vegetable choices, and more flowers. They broadened their line of accessories from simple items like vinaigrette cruets and plant clippers, to more significantly useful supplemental water containers, bulk liquid fertilizer, growing media, various growing bowls for specific plants such as strawberries, additional baskets for growing your own seeds, starter seed trays and the like. They changed the electronics to be more reliable. They held down the cost of everything. I'm tempted to buy two more of their most powerful LED units but I am loath to part with what I have. 

My Aerogarden 7 was nearly $300.00, I think. I own two, and I bought a few more for gifts and had them delivered to different states. I forget how many. Nobody mentions them. They're probably wasted. Now they cost $160.00 And now they added one even stronger than this shown below that they call "ultra."



Their newest LED models range from quite inexpensive (and probably rather weak but I don't know) to LED Miracle-Gro Aerogarden ultra, regular cost $300, on sale now $290. 

That is not 20% off. I think if you called you'd get even more off everything, seed kits as well. Liquid fertilizer comes with the seed kits.


The pole holding the lights extends quite high, triple the height shown, telescoping upward as plants grow to accommodate the type plant that you select. Tomatoes take a lot of height, more so than, say, lettuce varieties. It was actually quite fun growing lettuce in the dead of winter and having it available all season. Herbs too. I had herbs in one room and lettuce in another. The lights and the pump are automatic, set to the type seed kit you've got going. And, man, do they go on, bink, the whole place is flooded with light. I like that a lot. I like having bright light in winter. Plus it helps with photography. 

5 comments:

Anne in Rockwall, TX said...

I am almost ready to buy, I had just been waiting for a decent discount and this one looks good.

Question Chip: My preference would be to have some tomatoes and some herbs in the same planter (no way I can afford two.) Doable?

Chip Ahoy said...

I do not know.

I think their settings will be different that controls light timing and water dispersion.

You can certainly try.

Also if you fill all the plugs with tomatoes it seems kind of tight. I honestly do not know.

Call them and ask. I'm fairly sure they will discourage it because they want things to work as well as possible.

Maybe a small one for the herbs. It's only $50.00

They also grow different heights so the light will move up differently. Even so it might work. I did that on my terrace and it worked well.

Good luck.

Chip Ahoy said...

Place your order on the phone and request the 20% discount even if it lapsed. They are very accommodating.

Anne in Rockwall, TX said...

Thanks, I'll give them a call. Apartment living in Texas with a tiny northeast-facing, covered patio limits my gardening options and I have been dying to try this.

Anne in Rockwall, TX said...

Damn, damn, damn, damn. Looks like the alternator in my car takes precedence this month. Maybe they'll have an after Christmas sale.