Saturday, October 4, 2014

Shocking Beauty

Book by Thomas Hobbs

David W. Pittelli writes amusing review on Amazon. David says Thomas Hobbs is what he says he is, an avant-gardist gardening snob. He quotes Hobbs from the book a few times to illustrate:
Some gardeners will never learn the art of plant assemblage... As I drive by their predictable efforts, I often wonder, "Is Life Easier?"
Ha ha ha, good one. 
Being a left-handed, Gemini breach-birth ALLOWS me to love tetraploid daylilies. It is WHO I AM BOTANICALLY.
Ha ha ha, another good one. I looked up tetraploid day lilies and they look fine to me.
Bowling balls are appropriate in Marcia Donahue's garden/gallery in Berkeley, California, because SHE DID IT FIRST.
Ha! These are all quite good examples of garden snobbery.

My favorite personal example of garden snobbery is guest 2 being shown by guest 1 the entry way gardening efforts of host 1 and casually remarking, "I see what he's trying to do here." Meaning tried and failed.

David describes Hobbs as obsessed with rejection of the common and clichéd, but then his featured gardens are also clichéd with repeated elements of Hobbs' own commonalities.

David's own meta opinion is that peoples' enjoyment of the arts is such because they have already done what is pretty and handsome, and current practitioners are jaded by the work of their predecessors and in their desire to be original they often produce work most non-experts find ugly. Amusingly, David says this is seen in architecture, painting, music and so far horticulture has escaped the curse of avant-guardist ugliness, but not in this book. David wondered if it is fair to say that Hobbs has passed 'Shocking Beauty' and created a book that is ugly. Then he comes to Hobbs writing at the end:
I have noticed a switch in gardening, from "pretty" to what I call "the New Ugly." I find this fascinating and very, very attractive. In gardening, UGLY HAS BEEN REDEFINED by brilliant plantsmen and -women who get absolutely no thrill from trying to make a pretty picture. By increasing the dosage of all that is weird and unexpected, these thrillseekers are creating powerful, unforgettable experiences.
"Umh, NO IT HASN'T!" Cries David. "If we wanted 'powerful, unforgettable experiences' of ugliness, we would just move into a junkyard next to an oil refinery! That said, if the book's title or dust-jacket reflected this decadent philosophy, I could rate it 4 stars"

Hobbs adds a campy dramatic element to his discovery of his Vancouver house:
I will never forget ringing the doorbell, expecting "Max," [from Sunset Boulevard] or at least Harvey Korman dressed as "Max," to open the door. Instead, a very short Alfred Hitchcock type greeted us, with a badly-wigged woman peering over his shoulder.
It isn't until the last page David learns how the garden is therapy for Hobbs, about talking to plants, which most people can't do ("and it shows"!) and about remembering gardeners who gave him plants and then died of AIDS. Life is a veil of tears, so maybe we should cut him some slack, even if we are not in love with ugliness.

That surprised me.

I bought both books and tried to overlook my umbrage with this photoshopped cover for the paperback version. These photos are copyrighted, maybe I should paint a mustache on them.



Tell me I'm wrong. The cactus does not grow in the cracks of the cement pot like that isolated from the group. The baby hen and chick cactus plants are connected to the group. They do not grow like lichen or moss. Even so, the photographs inside the book are intriguing. They are mostly vignettes and nothing so useful as garden plans and instructions. 







The thing is, I poured over the five books of Pamela Crawford's absorbing things visually and less so by words, besides, the books repeat. Now I can look at her pictures of plant groupings and name most of the plants, along the way learning which ones are good for shade and such, but I keep coming back to a lot of what makes container plant groups extraordinary is the planters themselves and you just do not see that much uncommonly beautiful things all that often. The container used for the paperback cover is beautiful. It also looks handmade from cement. 

The trick to interesting groups is when you see unique containers that you like and you can see fitting in with your other things then buy them without compunction. 



Etsy, for example, has tons of results for large containers depending on how you word the search, but this is the only thing that I saw that could work, $70.00. Not bad at all, but it is not big enough.

17 comments:

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I've found that a little girl's interest is the best test of whether a garden works or not.

bagoh20 said...

The universe is my garden, and I imagine it is thankful for the opportunity, although I never bother to ask, and really don't care.

bagoh20 said...

We just turned our garden under for the winter. In spring, we planted a single 6 inch tomato plant that over the summer yielded well over 100 tasty tomatoes. I counted over 40 on the plant at one time, and it never got bigger than about 24 inches. I had no idea that was possible. It's called a "Better Bush". We also planted a Pumpkin and now have two medium sized pumpkins for Halloween. There was a wonderful output of Jalapeno peppers, Mint and Basil as well. All gone now. What I really need is a beef tree. Does that sound gay?

ricpic said...

I used to live next to a woman who planted a lot of annuals. They were garish and clashed and I'm sure Thomas Hobbs would have taken great umbrage. But I figured if it gives her pleasure....

Unknown said...

"Beef tree" is the secret password at most of the private gay bathhouses in Boston. So, uh - yeah.

Annuals are considered garish? mmmh.

If it blooms, it want it. Sure, there's a technique to pleasant color palate coordination, and a sophisticated one is "shocking".
Is there a rule? I hate rules. A mixture of greens, variegated.. whatever.

I have too much shade in my yard. I've planted every shade loving thing possible and I am tired of it. Someday soon, I hope to enjoy a sunny side yard, with beds of soups and stews.

Plant what makes you happy. Plant what you want to harvest and enjoy and share with others. Plant a beef tree.

Unknown said...

Succulents. The cactus look a bit like succulents.

Christy said...

I'm a plant snob who never lives up to her own standards.

I can't help myself. Some plants just make me happy.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

About how many gardenias should one have in a garden.

I'm just asking that to be fictitious. We live on a third floor of a landscaped gated community. No garden for me.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I never forget the terrible consternation I caused my grandmother at her garden, in Santiago, where I was placed while my parents came to the US to do the work pending our arrival.

I thought I pull out the grass that grows around the trunk of the flower trees. but I thought it would be better if I used one of those curbed end gardening machetes my grandma had.

Well, not only did I hurt the flower trees, I also carved out the seeds she had planted.

Imagine my shock when she saw what I did and instead of praise I got something else.

Christy said...

Ever notice how much young corn looks like Johnson Grass? Daddy had me weeding during a drought where nothing much was growing. How was I supposed to know he'd planted corn? Grandpa swears he looked up to see Daddy chasing me around the field swinging a hoe over his head and yelling.

The Dude said...

I plant trees. Let my work be a problem for future generations.

Which reminds me - I just saw a tulip poplar seedling - I'll transplant that over the winter - I like volunteer trees - they are free, they have demonstrated that they can live in my yard, and they are free.

My father used to run around swinging a ho over his head, but that's a story for another day.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Anybody want any redbud saplings?

One dollar each.

No? Okay, I'll make it two dollars and I'll even pay to overnight the little fuckers!

Help me, please! I'm dying here!

Chip Ahoy said...

Donald A.!

I knew the name would come to me when I least expected.

Haven't seen him in years.

I do not like him. Never did. He behaves similar to John Kerry. My tender and gentle self finds him abrasive. Overly class-concerned. A concern for image that is haughty and oddly causes him to blow his image. Other people have spoke to him about this.

Then after all that, I was told that he likes to cook and he reads my other site for ideas and holds a completely different opinion of me than I of him, and speaks of me well, a regard that I cannot detect by observable behavior, encounters I've always kept brief as possible.

Knowing he likes to cook changed everything. I probed further along that line. Turns out it is not so much for fun of cooking but cheapness of going out. I am told Don despises wasting money on restaurants. Would rather eat in every night from a penny-pinching standpoint.

Turns out further he's made himself a millionaire. Crafty real estate investments and miserly ways he parlayed a salaried career to the millionaire's club.

The person telling me all this is much older and relating it all with a tone of some disgust. His attitude is; what good is having money when your habits that achieved it prevent you from having fun with it? It presents an impossible conundrum.

My older friend would rather go out. He spends freely.

And each time we do go out I think, "I can do this as well or better." So we do. The next time comes around we go out together to a specialty shop and buy aged beef. Then to grocery for specific vegetables. Then home to cook it. And it is extraordinary. The whole day fun and a bit of a party. We had more fun doing that, making a mess here than going out. We repeated that a few times. Then when my birthday rolls around a half a year later there is a card in the mail with the usual note but this time including an unusual gift card for $100.00 and I know that gift card is payback for the day we shopped and the meal we made.

So proof that eating in pays.

Three times this similar thing happened within the last year.

But now that I'm thinking about it, all three cases the people know each other. This might be collusion.

Chip Ahoy said...

I had another childish misconception ground to dust.

John Appleseed Chapman, tin pot on his head, flinging apple seeds around all over the place as he goes. Sort of a transcendentalist barefoot beggar.

I wanted to write something about him carelessly introducing invasive species when I encountered in wikipedia probably that he actually owned a nursery and used saplings. Saplings being more reliable than seeds. Perhaps seedlings. But he did plant a lot of seedlings. He wasn't all so careless and carefree as I was taught, or, as I thought.

Whoa, eeeerk (brakes sound), full stop, reverse, stop. Not seedlings, nurseries. John Chapman established nurseries as he went, built fences around them to keep out livestock.

We learn:

1) apples from trees grown seeds are rarely sweet, but we do not learn why

2) even so, sour apples were popular due to hard cider and apple jack. Chapman was welcome because he brought with him the joys of cider.

3) in some areas and some periods settlers were required to maintain apples and pears to hold the right to the land.

The true story of Johnny Appleseed is a lot more interesting than the fable. It'd make a good pop-up. My nephews/nieces would be so amused.




Chip Ahoy said...

redbud tree bonsai

The Dude said...

Those bonsai are beautiful, CA.

Christy said...

I want someday to espalier an Apple tree. Lots of retaining walls in these foothills, but I need one just a little taller than what I have now.