Friday, October 31, 2014

Have a minute?

"One January night, I was having a meltdown," she begins. "I asked God if I could do anything. I didn't know what He sent me here for. I wanted to know what He sent me here for. Whatever you sent me here for, I'm ready to do."
"What keeps me going is remembering why I'm here," she says.

Lauren Hill is here for all of us. She's a soul engine, and all she wants to do for the rest of her life is remind us how good we have it, and that we need to make that goodness matter, for everyone. That would include kids with the cancer she has, which is inoperable and incurable and swiftly fatal and receives very little attention.

She is a shy young lady, rapidly emerging from her shell, to advise us that lives don't have to be lived long to be lived triumphantly. Hers is an impossibly sad story. But only if we choose to look at it that way. Lauren doesn't.

"I told (God) I'd take every opportunity to speak for the kids who can't speak," she says.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Another sad cancer story. Cancer cheats perfectly lovely people. So much attention is paid to breast cancer. It is time to spread that attention to other cancers that are lethal. Breast cancer should share the wealth.

virgil xenophon said...

^^THIS Let's not leave out us boys, tho. How about, for example, shining a little more light on prostate cancer?

Unknown said...

Agreed, Virgil. Cancer doesn't care about gender, age, skin color, ethnicity, economic status. It's an equal opportunity rat bastard.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I tried to post a picture from inside a Starbucks but I was rebuffed.

It appears google and apple wont play nice, they wont seamlessly share.

I picked the wrong week to accept my brothers hand me down iPhone.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

XRay said...

Remarkable woman. I'm not sure I'd have the same positive outlook, courage, that she is displaying.

I've known several people, unfortunately, who have succumbed to brain cancer, it is a rat bastard. Makes my RCC, removed, seem a walk in the park.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

"Breast cancer should share the wealth."

April makes me laugh.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

But of course April is right. If "equality" and "social justice" are the highest value then it figures.

No illness should get a disproportional share of attention.

Sounds like the birth of a National Association.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Speaking of disproportional aspirational values...

Read Is Social Psychology Biased Against Republicans?

Conservatives is the more accurate description.

DADvocate said...

A sad, but inspirational story. I live and work in the Cincinnati area and can almost see St. Joe's from where I work. The support from the community has been phenomenal. But, yeah, cancer sucks. Why do we have to lose such a fine young person?