Thursday, October 2, 2014

Bruce Foster, pop up author

Foster did the pop ups for Harry Potter pop-up book. I do have that book. Also another book having to do with Genesis. I had two copies of that. Gave one away to a religious lady and she told me she considers it a remarkably beautiful book. Oops, I just checked, mine were a similar thing from a different author. Man, 66¢? What a steal.

You could buy the Genesis books by the dozen and pass them out among your Christian friends and they'll love you forever. It is a very nice book, but too many words to suit me, too much biblical text for my taste. Innovative with colored plastic sheets for stained glass.

Here Bruce Foster is giving a speech with a visual presentation. The most interesting parts are, I think, where he must collaborate and the manufacturing of pop-up books. I always imagined the books being produced in Latin America but here it looks like China.



Entering Bruce Foster's name in Abebooks search produces tons of results having to do with children's books mostly collaborations to turn them to pop-ups. 

I read on another site that his America's National Parks is good. I imagined I could buy one for pennies, but not so. For some reason that particular book is not discounted to the extent all his other books are. I bought both of them. It's just odd that Puff the Magic Dragon is already discounted to 1¢, how embarrassing, and the other National Parks does not discount at all. In fact used copies become something of a keepsake. [41 Amazon reviews National Parks pop-up]


Halloween at the Zoo has also kept its price. 



I bought another one tonight, second one within a week. The first one came in the mail but was stuck in the mailbox. I had a backpack, my arms were full, a woman helped me pull it out. It was jammed in there really tightly. Another woman joined the tug of war on my behalf. I asked, "Wanna see what's in it?" 

"Sure."

She flips through the book and falls in love with it instantly. I say, "It's yours. You earned it."

The last copy of Gift Wrapping didn't make it past the mailbox so I bought another copy for 1¢. Plus shipping, of course. 

Back to National Parks pop-up that is not discounted. Plug your ears for the singing if you care to click. This la-and is your la-and this land is my la-and from New York City to California.


Yeah, just try jumping the fence to our house and dashing inside through a few famous rooms and see how long it takes to get yourself tackled if not shot.

All that aside, I see why one reviewer knocked it on Amazon for dull colors.

No comments: