Saturday, August 2, 2014

Pelosi attacks Tom Marino

Ha ha, struck a nerve. Apparently she did hear something she doesn't like. She interrupts, races over. And why don't we ever see Republicans flounce right over and give the prevaricators a piece of their mind directly off the mic? A very small piece, they need all they have.



Once I had a woman rush directly at me angry as h-e-double pointer sticks with her finger extended like this, I seated, she rushing upon me to loom menacingly over me shaking with anger and I was all, "I'm not scared a' you." 

Everybody was shocked. 

The incident became the talk of the whole building.

Very formal setting, formal as this, you should see the conference table and chairs at the FED, you'd think something hugely important takes place there, and it does sometimes, but not this time. No, this time was just another of those absurd management development seminars. An outside firm that employs MBA types comes in to develop team building among managers. We were assigned a ridiculous task of pretending we are an airplane manufacturer interfacing with a government buyer. By a ridiculous process that does not resemble the real world. Our team folded paper airplanes to specifications. A bit of fun, that. Then the instructor rejected each one for this and for that arbitrarily without mentioning the basis of rejection in the specifications, then fold new ones then reject those for this and for that, then fold new ones and as group leader I said, "Too bad. We're out of business. Brought down by a malevolent unaccountable government bureaucrat. No planes for you. Everybody go home, you're out of work." 

Man, she was mad. At me. For my refusal to go further with the exercise.

I looked like a boy in a suit but did not behave like one. That was part of the crossed communication. Sometimes it took people awhile to realize I was grown up. I said, "Get to the point, please." 

Everybody else was frustrated too with the ridiculous game and the waste of time. We had work to do and there was no point to this exercise. I said so. And I held my ground. She really did pull out all the stops to intimidate me but she failed. Her flouncing and motherly charge did not work. Her exercise failed flatly. Because of me.  I said I was finished with all that and left the conference room. I told her try her intimidation tactics with the uninitiated. I have work to do. 

My bosses asked me what happened, I told them, they said, each one said, "Oh, I see." Later they pulled me aside to say "By the way, that company removed the airplane folding exercise from their program." I said, "Eh. They should remove the instructor from the program. We should remove the company from our management development program. We can do better ourselves."

But they did not dissolve their association with the company. Later I was asked to interpret for a deaf person assigned to a class there. This time at their building. Another ridiculous thing. The employee had some uneasiness arise with other employees and his supervisor. One of the most engaging and easy going persons I know, and he was assigned to a course on employee communication and group cooperation. Utterly ridiculous from my point of view. I know the man. He communicates just fine. In fact, he communicates better than they. I have several examples of his superior communication. Any difficulty is not within him. The other party, his supervisor should be the one taking the class. And that turned out to be incredibly difficult for me. Much more so than I ever imagined. An hour here and there is one thing, hard enough to concentrate that long but two full days is far too much. Being mindful of someone else's every word and really thinking about what they are saying well enough to show it is too much to keep up for so long. I need to speak myself, but cannot. I had a profound headache after each day, so the whole night was ruined too. They really do need a couple of interpreters to switch off for a thing like that. Even on breaks and lunch, there is no letting up. The other students want to engage, they were very interested in Jeff because he is gorgeous besides. They wanted to talk to him so my job never stopped. It's not fair.

Here is Nancy Pelosi thinking she's all that in her role of House Princess. Imagining there is some grievance in Tom Marino's description. He is right. They had all the information they needed but acted contrary to requirements, and all the resources necessary to head off this problem before it developed, but they chose not to, rather, they exacerbated the situation by their speeches and by their observable documented actions, and by their inactions, politicizing the whole thing to disaster. And now she flounces and charges forward in attack mode at Tom who describes accurately her and them. 

26 comments:

Chip S. said...

"How dare you challenge my̶ b̶u̶l̶l̶s̶h̶i̶t̶ authority!"

Aridog said...

Chip Ahoy ....yep, I've had to endure this kind of "training" as a DOD "Fed"...and I have been critical and have walked out also (for example, TQM stuff by Dr Demming....that idiot thought none of us knew diddly about the Western Electric Hawthorne Works experiment in motivation...of which both he and Dr Juran were participants at a low level. When the Colonel asked why I explained it this way....

You want "teamwork training" try any USMC DI at Paris Island or any of those at Fort Benning's Ranger course. It just isn't that complicated...you do what is best for the team, not just yourself, within the scope of your enlistment oath, period. Full stop.

I was excused and seldom ever again sent to "training" of the "management" type, by fools who have never actually managed anything let alone anything serious or hazardous.

When you can motivate PFC Sixpack to get up and move out with his unit, THAT is leadership. Not by screaming (which in the military of my day, there was a lot of...), but by demonstrative example. When I was struggling, due to a knee with already strained ligaments, with a long march, half of it at double time, over unbroken ground, with a 90 pound pack on my back...my DI came along side of me, stopped briefly to load his own pack with rocks (many DI's carry packs full of crumpled newspaper) to the weight of mine and ran alongside of me until I got it...you CAN do what is necessary.

That DI likely saved my life down the road and I'll never forget him, SSGT Kramer...he proved to me that you can do what you have to do when the circumstance demand it.

I carried that forward by never asking anyone in my squad to do anything I would not, or could not, do, and do it first when necessary.

ricpic said...

Chip works for the FED!!! Shockin', I calls it.

rhhardin said...

I made paper airplanes in college that flew beautifully, out of cut and stapled 4x6 index cards.

She'd never reject one of those.

The trick is the full flaps. You get a steady descent without any speed variation.

I was banned from consciousness raising seminars, but still had to take the online courses later after they dropped those.

You can skip the viewing if you notice that they always want the most PC answer in the multiple choice.

ricpic said...

Marino said nothing incendiary. Methinks Nancy has a bad conscience.

rhhardin said...

If Chip works at the fed, how about some pop-up stamps or something.

I assume the fed does the upside-down airplane stamps and such.

The no-lick stamps were a real advance, by the way.

And the inflation-beating forever stamp.

We need a forever dollar.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

My idea of effective managerial team building involves a zip line and a keg.

deborah said...

ChipS, I think you mean authoritah.

I never learned to make paper airplanes semi-okay till I observed some male cousins making them.

deborah said...

The trainer makes me think of Professor Umbridge in Harry Potter.

Karen of Texas said...

Lol, Deborah. Prosser. Tom should have choked her down. You charge, you ask for a retaliatory take down. For entitled harridans? Preferably physical. Just sayin'.

Trooper York said...

Tom Marino for President!

Trooper York said...

The should use this in a vide to demonstrate when is it the correct time to use a chokehold.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

When you have people fundraising a hope that their opposition impeaches their president... that has to play some tricks on their minds... no matter how Machiavellian.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Smelt it, dealt it?

deborah said...

Lem I was just going to say she may be losing it mentally, and you add another dimension.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Pelosi is too slippery.

The Dude said...

Botox is one hell of a drug.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I would combine the torture post, being locked in a small room with Nancy Pelosi, and Patsy's I Fall to Pieces.

I would say anything to make it stop.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

That video would be so much better if House security personnel ran up and Nancy wailed "Don't Taze Me Bro…"

William said...

I didn't think Merino's comments were all that insulting, especially when one considers how she characterizes her opponents.......Also I would think that paper airplanes would be right in Chip Ahoy's wheelhouse. But maybe it's a case of Pavarotti not knowing how to whistle and his paper planes not being up to govt. specs.

Chip Ahoy said...

See what I did there?

I had to learn more about iMovie to do that. Such a pain in the beautox because iMovie automatically zooms each photo and makes it go slowly. I had to change each frame added to the video. Imovie zooms each photograph and that did not work for me.

I wish they had kept filming. The video does need an ending.

Apparently, Pelosi reminded Morino that Democrats were brave enough to enact the "will of the American people" and enact the Dream act. She called Morino an "insignificant person." Her staff then lied and said Pelosi accepted Morino's apology. Morino says, "Bullshit. I have nothing to apologize for."

The second seminar, the woman was not so bad. In fact, she kissed me.

On the second day the seminar leader issued a ridiculously long and unnecessarily contorted sentence, an aside, the common sort that uses contrived language, and one that does not reasonably fit. It contained the element "you must realize all parties enter these exchanges with pre-conceived conceptualizations involving unconsciously accepted values that affect positioning and outcome" just part of a single sentence.

Realizing what she just did, so she is self-aware of her own convoluted language, she looked at me to see how I would handle that, right at the moment of massive concentration. The whole class did. The expression on my face apparently was of deep dismay and confusion, but actually I had just figured out the redundancy, I had just landed on a way to show what she said. I actually did sort her contortion and was ready to present it as a film clip. She stopped short. Grinned from ear-ear, and dashed toward me seated, the same way as the first woman, except this time to grab my head and kiss me POW right on the cheek. The whole class erupted in laughter.

Incredibly embarrassing. Because I didn't even get credit deserved for figuring it out. I had the solution right there.

Chip Ahoy said...

Now Jeff is all, "What? What? What?"

And I have to explain the sentence, Her nonsense, the classes' reaction, why that is so funny. And Jeff shrugs. The humor for everyone else is lost to him, means absolutely nothing to him. And it flat wasn't humorous at all for me. It was the sort of shit I deal with all the time. Preconceived conceptualizations? Give me a fucking break. That doesn't even make sense in English when other sensible constructions are available.

Here is how English speakers talk extemporaneously. "The subject is divided into thee parts. First:________. Finally, _________. And moreover, _________. And then you got _________. When you consider ________. When there isn't any ___________ And your mother-in-law doesn't _________.

In sign you showed an explicit "3 PARTS" by creating an outline with an expectation it will be sensibly followed. But it is not followed so you, the interpreter, look like the one unable to keep up, and not the dummkopf who wanders. Oi, such a headache.

The personnel Dept. asked me to write up my experience for their employee newsletter.

I already had a 9-page description to Toni who had moved to Atlanta. I gave them a copy complete with all the swears.

They edited it to a few, "a good time was had by all" paragraphs.

They told me the letter had the whole office cracking up laughing and weeping real tears. They were all deeply moved. It was the best story they ever had to include. Please understand the edits.

Even severely edited I came back to notes left on my desk. Everybody was interested in Jeff. Wondered what his friendships were like. The edited version gave a window into how he and other deaf get on. What happens to them on a daily basis. Several of the notes said they cried as they read it. The article evoked a remarkable reaction. One I experienced directly. I was already well known by my art being auctioned, but this language thing was not broadly known. The vice presidents regarded me as something of a freak. Bankers are generally well-focused individuals, not exactly known for their right-brain activities. Adding this to what was already known, art, catering, and other such non left brain activities. pretty much sealed my fate as not a banker type. My grades in school, the classes I took notwithstanding, someone more suitable elsewhere. I think I still have a copy of that newsletter filed away. I could scan it along with the other articles they did about me. Looking back, they somewhat reveal my fame that happened naturally there and explain my dead end. From my p.o.v., the people who advance are brilliant complete duds.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Morino should have shouted out "Palamino!"

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Wow, I'm just taking a look at that now. I couldn't see the video at the senior center.

Nice ending Chip.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Tweet

Amartel said...

These are the same overbearing, angry, oblivious weasels who are always yakking on about keeping the "entitled" and "privileged" people in line with their gummint programs and special exemptions, anger management classes, and diversity training.

Maybe they should check their privilege. Get some anger management. Learn how to listen to and work peacefully with others who may come from a different tradition.

They won't though since that's not what privileged, entitled people do. They've got theirs and anyone who doesn't like it can go to hell on high speed rail.

Changing these closed little minds is a difficult slog. It hasn't occurred to most of them that they're the ones who are entitled and privileged. Their whole identity is built around being righteously oppressed (or standing up for the oppressed), even and despite all evidence to the contrary.