Tuesday, August 5, 2014

But It's a Really Cool App!

Yes, it is.  Super cool, in fact.  At least that's what sheeple thought when the new Facebook Messenger app became available for their phones, and iPads, and other mobile devices.  So cool, in fact, that more that one million people downloaded it tout de suite as soon as it was announced.

Without reading the Terms of Service, as usual.  Heavens, why do that?  That thing is all fine print and legalese and boring and you can't change it so just click on 'accept' and poof! here comes the new app!

El grande mistake, amigos. The Facebook Messenger app invades your privacy like no app before it has ever done.  Here's part of what the TOS Agreement does:
By agreeing to the TOS for the Facebook Messenger app  on a mobile device, the user is essentially agreeing to give up things to Facebook that the police would need to get a warrant to obtain, under most circumstances.

Why get a warrant now, when it's easier for law enforcement to go right to Facebook for your personal information, including video and audio of you doing and saying whatever in your own home?

Privacy.  It was nice while we had it.    Full article here.  It's always good to read the TOS Agreements before installing any software on devices you own.

9 comments:

The Dude said...

I made mention of the, shall we say, intrusive nature of FB and some apps that people use there, and a long time friend of mine thought I was being paranoid.

I was. But that doesn't mean they aren't out to get me, just sayin'.

edutcher said...

Another reason to avoid it like the plague.

Or illegal aliens.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Not on FB.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

No facebook for me. Plus no cell phone.

I'm good.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

It's not easy, being smarter than everybody else.

deborah said...

"It's not easy, being smarter than everybody else."

It's not us, it's them.

ndspinelli said...

DBQ, Is your last name Kaczynski?

The Dude said...

Don't make me post that poem again!

Dust Bunny Queen said...

@ Spinelli

LOL. Nope. I don't have a cell phone because:

1. There is no one that I need to call from a cell phone. Now that I'm retired I can use a land line. There isn't anyone that I need to hear from at a moment's notice either. If it is a family emergency, I can get the message on the answering machine and return a call. Everyone is 7 to 12 hours driving time away anyhow. So what difference does a half hour or so make?

2. If I'm traveling 95% of the time it is with my husband and I can use his cell. He has a flip phone and we disabled the texting and internet options because he doesn't want or need those options. If traveling any distance by myself..buy some minutes for a trac-phone that I have. If they have to give me a new number...oh well. I'll give the number to my husband. No one else needs to call me.

3. The cell phone reception sucks up here anyway with a lot of dead areas. You have to drive to certain places to be able to make or receive a call. Even then it is spotty. I might as well drive home to make a call. The only reason my husband has one is for work so I can leave a message. That way if he gets in range and can get the message it might save him 30 to 60 miles of driving only to have to return back to a job near where he might have been. He can call me to bring parts or go pick up pumps or something. Business.

I just don't need a cell phone or need or even want to be in constant contact. /shrug. Not a part of my life.