Tuesday, July 15, 2014

spang


Looking through old posts on sites I do not usually read I saw this guy's smirk again and my impulse is punch it. 

There is a British cartoonist, recently died, possibly, when I looked up his name a few days ago in images some of the cartoons displayed were punches to the face and punches to the stomach where the fist is sunk in and features are collapsed to direction lines. Like this: 


Lines and shadows, the fist is partially obscured. This looks familiar, it might be one of his, but now I cannot find the name to check.

The second impulse is spang his face with a pan, but how is a face flattened, when a picture is already flat? That is, make something in 2-D appear more 2-D.

In the cartoons the face takes the shape of the pan. Or the pan takes the shape of the face. If a face were actually flattened then the highlights and shadows would disappear. 

Photoshop does not have a filter for "flatten." It does have a filter for "glass." Photoshop can also diminish highlights and lowlights. It can make them disappear. It can do all kinds of things. I tried a lot of filters. I settled on covering the highlights by hand, by picking a nearby color and spraying over the highlights that define shape on the forehead and picked another color nearby the highlight on the nose, with minimal spray, then applied a "craquelure" filter that allows the size the cracks to be adjusted. I used "Transform -- warp" to tug the edges of the face to match the shape of the final pan. Originally I had a dozen pans changing perspective and it looks really cool when it runs, but the gif doesn't run fast enough for a convincing hit, even with time set to "0" it takes too long for a good smack, so I dropped all of the frames of the pan with their changing perspective, bummer, they all became larger with the edge toward the viewer, leaving one frame in the middle with a time of "0". Then when I was done with it, realized I can reverse the first pan for a longer swing at the guys face, and that added another frame, so now two frames in the middle with a timing of "0."

See, pans can appear magically from nowhere, I do this all the time at home when I  cook. Need a pan BANG there it is, just like in the cartoons.   

5 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Thank you. That felt good to watch.

Anonymous said...

That cartoon looks to be in Bill Plympton's style.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Everytime I see that guy, I am reminded of the comedian Gallagher. I want to see his head go all watermelon

I wish I had mad Photoshop skills, but that would mean that I would have to take some time and really learn something. Nah....too much work. I'll just enjoy everyone else's work.

Chip Ahoy said...

Dust Bunny, I found it annoying at first because it wouldn't let me proceed.

Then I realized I must keep open a layer window and work on one layer at a time.

It is not so intuitive that the thing you are shown and applying your tool to is a transparency that you turn on and off.

Once you get the hang of it you see how useful that approach is.

The other annoying thing is like regular art, you must tell it every tiny thing, not just which tool to use, but how to use it, how wide a brush, what kind of brush, how much to load the brush, how intensely to unload the brush etc. Then constantly switching between tools and the exact modification to the tool.

That's why artists have a cup full of different type brushes. It's analog is just as annoying.

The thing is, there are additional tools. There is probably a Photoshop "flatten" filter out there for me to find as and add on.

Just as there are type faces I can add to it. (or remove from my list)

Chip Ahoy said...

adamsunderground, it sure does look like him. That is exactly what I was looking for this punch in the face.