Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Not your father's botanical drawings



"Botanical art has some conventions that have helped the practice remain accurate and disciplined: portions of the plants painted in isolation on white backgrounds; often 1:1 in size with the real plant; typically in watercolour for the range of colours (Opera Pink, anyone?) and known factors in preservation.
After seeing these works-in-progress by Mieke Roth, I find myself wondering why more of it doesn’t look like this..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is art created on a computer. If you go to Mieke Roth's site you will see more examples. I think some of the images will rotate, etc., but I don't think my internet speed is fast enough.

6 comments:

The Dude said...

In "watercolour"? Friggin' ferners! Deport 'em!

Rabel said...

Do I want to know what that is coming out of the 3D rat's rear end?

Lydia said...

Am I the only one looking at that drawing and thinking The Day of the Triffids?

edutcher said...

Looks like something else to me.

Synova said...

In which case... why not a photograph? Why not scan it in 3D?

deborah said...

Drawing/painting with a computer is a legitimate medium, I think.

You could ask a similar question of artists paint hyperrealism...paintings that look like a photograph.

Because it's there :)