Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Cliff Beeler

The stories developing about Bowe Bergdahl, his father and our CIC, all over the right-o-sphere are making me ill. Salacious indeed designed to take the place of scandal in a news cycle-minded political class. It has politics written all through it. I can hardly bear another word. Thankfully, there is an antidote. What time is it? Time to take a cure. Here is its opposite, a restorative to faith in human nature.

Introduction to Cliff Beeler, U2 pilot, quiet unassuming and unsung hero.

When an airplane stalls midair it can spell catastrophe if there is not enough altitude to recover. An airplane stall is not the same as a car engine stall as you might imagine, it does not refer to the engine, rather, an airplane stall refers to insufficient air flow over the wings causing the wings to stop flying. The plane stops flying midair. (Oddly, I learned this from a Navy pilot in a small consumer airplane after my dad had retired. And learned it again through hang gliding. Maybe I was taught that earlier but I was thinking of something else at the time.) If there is sufficient altitude then the plane can recover by diving but it is the last thing a pilot wants to have happen. Sometimes you see daredevils do this at air shows and it is also part of a pilot's training. From a pilot's point of view it is very brave indeed to induce a stall. Or stupid.

Regarding the U2 program.
As a plane climbs in altitude and the air thins, it must go faster to avoid a stall. The higher it climbs, the faster it needs to fly.
This is true at Denver airports as well. Some days the air is too hot and too thin to take off effectively. You have to go faster than usual to climb, and then the plane climbs more slowly than usual with greater difficulty. You need sufficient power to do this.
Above 70,000 feet, the critical stall speed approaches the plane’s Mach speed, or the speed of sound — somewhere above 650 mph at that altitude. If that barrier is crossed, the shock waves can break the plane apart. U-2 pilots usually had a window of less than 12 mph between the two speeds. They had to keep the plane within that window for hours at a time.
Focus!

That's 12 mph (they use knots) at 650 mph. One second loss of focus, just one second, and this happens:
He was above Louisiana on a night flight when he reached Mach speed. “It tore the tail off,” he said. “The plane flipped over, and that tore the wing off.” The plane fell apart, he said, and at 78,000 feet, “I’m out in space. That’s a long way down.” Fortunately, he was in a pressure suit with oxygen and had a parachute. After a long freefall, he opened his chute and found himself floating toward the ground. To his right, he could see lights on the ground. To his left, the same. But beneath him, all was black. He remembered he was over Louisiana “I said, ‘That looks like a swamp.’ ”  
It was. “I landed in a big cypress tree,” he said. “My chute got caught and swung me into the trunk.” Telling the story, Beeler reached down toward his calf, “I always kept a doublebladed knife in my pocket,” he said. He was able to cut himself free of the parachute and use the ties to lash himself to the tree. He took off his helmet and dropped it into the darkness below. There was a distant splash. “All I could think about was alligators and cottonmouths in the swamp,” he said. Lucky for Beeler, the breakup of his plane had been spotted on radar. Within an hour and a half a rescue helicopter was overhead.
Beeler describes another close call over cuba. He describes a MiG flying at 50,000, peak for that aircraft, occasionally a MiG pilot will flip on their afterburner and soar straight upward beyond their aircraft's effective operating capability. Beeler looked back and saw the aircraft tumbling in the air within 50 feet of his wing. 

Darn, those spy cameras sure do take enviable pictures. I've read about these all my life and now here is Beeler confirming them on point. 
During one Cuban mission, Beeler spent some time following the coastline. Afterward, he was called into the lab by the man in charge of analyzing the film. “He showed me a picture of this Cuban gal sunbathing nude on the beach,” Beeler said. “It was so clear I could see she had blue eyes. (The analyst) said, ‘The only film these guys want to work with is your film.’ ” 
Returning from another mission, he took some images over San Diego. Later, he was shown a photo of a man sitting in his backyard reading the paper.
“I could read the headline on the newspaper,” he said.
The full interview here at EAA pdf upload 

Beeler landed his U2 on an aircraft carrier following a mission over USSR. Let that sink in. It is an amazing feat. To keep weight down the U2 was originally designed without landing gear. It is basically a jet propelled glider. It was designed with skids in place of wheels. Later production U2s do have wheels, but they are more like a bicycle and require accompanying vehicles to land. Due to the plane's 80 foot wingspan Beeler's carrier landing was possible only because of the ship's forward speed along with a headwind. Beeler stopped the U2 just five feet from the ship's superstructure. Quite an astonishing feat. Beeler relates there is little about the Navy that he appreciates, but he does like their Navy pilot's leather flight jackets. They gave him one. He recently passed the prize jacket along to his son.

Wow. I had such a jacket but not for any special feat I performed and not from anything directly authentic. It came from one of my uncles and it was old and cracked and discolored. Nobody wanted it. I shinned it up with brown shoe polish and laboriously brushed it all over and had the lining replaced. Then my older brother took it. 


The photographs accompanying the article makes me a bit sad, conflicted, actually. They appear to be taken in a nursing home. It is the interior design features that get me. A very old man with trouble standing upright, aided with a walker. One photograph of Beeler in front of photographs of U2 planes. 

I look back at my own immature impatience with men like this, willing to relate directly to me their own stories, at Air Force Bases, at VFWs and such, in our home, and my own inability to understand or to appreciate what is handed to me in terms of history and my stupid inability to grasp its relevance. I fell shame now mixed with gratitude.

Beeler went on to teach a new generation of pilots, and they went on to teach yet fresher pilots and so on, and my spirit is lifted by knowing that, yes, heroes like Beeler do still exist. Quiet heroes seeking no glory filling the background of our own lives.

Experimental Aircraft Association

12 comments:

Chip Ahoy said...

You have me self-conscious about editing. This will just have to do. I recommend clicking through to the full interview.

Here, if my links are faulted.

http://www.eaa190.com/uploads/3/9/0/6/3906574/propwash_2014-03_march1.pdf

Mumpsimus said...

Those stories about reading headlines and seeing what color peoples' eyes are from 50,000+ feet strike me as baloney. But I don't have any particular knowledge about the subject.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

The guy who develops the film is two doors down from the guy who gives you the fountain pen that shoots acid and the eyeglasses containing the cyanide capsule.

Aridog said...

See pages 4 thru 8 for Beeler's story

Aridog said...

Oh, and I agree that there certainly better things to be occupied with than the Bergdahl story, plainly intended to be a distraction. And in that respect there certainly are better military men and women to talk about....they don't get much publicity, if any, and seem to be fine with that. If they tell you a story it will 99% of the time be one of some humor, perhaps dark, or escape, not one of bloodshed and agony.

So thanks for posting a good story about a good man.

The Dude said...

Is this post an eye test? A couple of more lines and they would have been dots across the screen.

"A? I dunno - maybe a 4? Oh, I know - epsilon!"

lohwoman said...

http://www.pe.com/articles/beeler-684626-pilot-long.html

Chip Ahoy said...

lohwoman, what a bummer.

And now the same thing will happen with stories about Bergdahl except those will be wildly in variance and not just amalgamated versions. People who worked directly with him wil be insisting on their version as lived and other will be insisting there are well kept military records that prove the opposite.

Last night I was on Twitter for awhile and as to show that nothing can change, that no information can avoid manipulation and lodge solidly and permanently in the resolute partisan mind and propounded as holy script thereafter forever this depressing dreadful stream where one encounter juvenile substitutions Faux for Fox, Ray Gun for Reagan, etc. etc., false equivalency, ad hoc- proctor hoc, strawmen, redistribution of the center, tu quoque, ad hominem, and many other rhetorical assaults on logic crammed into one short naturally occurring flow.

Michael Haz said...

Thank you for this post, Chip. Beeler's heroism reminds me of a few others stories, and of the U2 - a remarkable bird that is still flying.

When I was in high school, our next door neighbor was Col Pat Freeman, a tall, funny, loud USAF pilot. Pat's life was non-stop stories. He crashed his plane in Africa in WW2, landing in a remote jungle. He hiked out for two weeks, using a compass. No radio. No emergency supplies. Just a compass and a pistol. And a broken back. He hiked out of the jungle with a broken back. He retired as a Brigadier General.

Beeler was a member of his local EAA chapter. The EAA was founded by Paul Poberezney, a friend of my father. Poberezney started out by building an airplane in his basement. In. His. Basement. The foundation of his house had to be taken apart to get the plane out when it was completed. That small event grew over decades into the EAA. If you love aircraft, you should attend the EAA Air Venture once in your life.

www.eaa.org/en/airventure

When Paul Poberezney retired, his son, Tom Poberezney, took over as CEO. Tom and I attended the same high school; he was a year older than me. Very nice guy - he was World Aerobatic Champion while he was in high school.

My dad was in the Navy in WW2. He fought on Guadalcanal, and after that the Navy sent him to flight school where he learned to pilot Stearmans before the war ended. We took Dad tot he EAA Air Adventure several times, and watched as he ran his hands over every part of a Stearman he could access, a big smile on his face.

I'm rambling here, aren't I? Sorry about that! Chip's excellent post turned on a flood of memories.

Aridog said...

lohwoman....interesting photos in your collection. Flowers and wildlife seem to be an interest. It's one many of us share, maybe with less ability to capture them. I like what I saw in your collection.

poppa india said...

I'm grateful for the EAA link-reminded me to look at the Grand Rapids, MI chapter page where my long term friend and fishing partner was a member. He died last year, so it was pleasant to see his picture in the chapter activities scrapbook. Beside fishing and motorcycles, his main interest was in rebuilding vintage planes. Like many other aviation buffs, he'd had adventures all over the world in the Air Force.

The stories about aerial photography are interesting. My son was in an aerial reconn/surveillance unit in Korea, flew a lot of missions along the DMZ, and had says he has some good stories about their equipment and abilities, most of which he can't tell me!

ken in tx said...

I used to pilfer empty film canisters from the DIA dumpster behind a building in Arlington Va. They were just like the plastic canisters that Kodak 35MM film came in except they were as big as a kitchen pot. They made great storage containers. I think you could capture a lot of detail on film that size, including eye color.

BTW, if you know anyone who wants to live on an Airpark within sight of the Blueridge, with attached hangar, hot-tub, green house, fish pond, & other stuff, contact Keller-Williams in Greenville, SC.
Asking 325,000. pics here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cdz3iup0ysg4ss1/AABu6c0gSli9968NrxMfwVEQa

We are moving to Texas. I will have to change my handle from Ken in SC.