Saturday, May 3, 2014

E15 gasoline

Turning speakers to low is recommended for the video if you care to watch otherwise the soft feminine intonations might very well work as icepick in the hands of a maniac upon them and on your eardrums. (I listened three times and still recovering)



tl:dr 

Good for new and for flex-fuel vehicles, not good otherwise.

Snopes rates the alarm email (urgent, send to friends) mix of true/false green, with a red outline   

Popular Mechanics will have you know four things. 

EPA will have you dazzled with their own regulation history and their various waivers.

Choose Ethanol will have you use it to support 383,000 jobs in the United States, because it burns cleaner and cooler in engines which helps performance and extend life of vehicle and can be used by over 75% of light duty vehicles on the road today. And because there is always room to grow! Made from renewable resources, and that is not going to change.
In fact, the number of available resources increases each year. Ethanol is not going to be limited by corn, or other grains, it is simply going to be limited by acceptance. You can start the change. Let’s work together to break our century plus addiction to oil.
"Addiction," ugh, way to loose your audience, Hippy. That is so last century.

Green Car Reports says Automaker groups say E15 damages cars and that EPA approval was rushed. This appears to be a balanced report of pros and cons.

12 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

E15 gasoline. Not sold under 15 without a parent. Under penalty of censure by the full senate.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I don't have a car, so I probably should abstain. I would never buy a green car however.

I had a red car, my first car was blue, never green though.

Unknown said...

Key point starts at 1:25 and 1:30 boom.

Money is changing hands. Wait until the Clintons take over again. The money the democrat party and the leftwing cronies are going to pocket will make Obama look like a piker.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Did she say "a gas warning"?... I'm unable to hear the simplest of messages w/o alluding to some alternative source of information crowding out the simplest of messages.

Its a bummer.

Chip Ahoy said...

I know, right? Lem, the distractions are endless.

Chip Ahoy said...

I did butt exercises, they seemed easy, and now my legs are wobbly.

Unknown said...

I worked hard labor in the yard all afternoon. Moving bags of rocks, bags of sand, pea gravel and patio stones. With a flat spade shovel, I removed the top layer of sod in a small spot all in attempt to tame the mud. Wow that's work. I feel wobbly too. Time to go collapse.

Bleach Drinkers Curing Coronavirus Together said...

"Addiction," ugh, way to loose your audience, Hippy. That is so last century.

Oh, I know! Right? Oil is so not 19th century. Way to lose Chip Rockefeller.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Way back in the 1970's some old guy told me that some guy had long ago invented a pill that you could throw into a gas tank full of water and it was the same as gasoline but the big greedy oil companies crushed him and his idea like a bug.

He was completely in earnest.

Aridog said...

More federal regulatory (sans legislation) nonsense. Mandate something that is not yet (if ever) practical for the v-a-s-t majority of applications. Lie to you that it is good for you and your vehicle. Most of us in the mid-west have been using 10% gasohol for some time now (suitable for engines made 2001 or later purportedly)...so more is better, right...give an inch, they demand a mile. In my state stations do not have to advise of 10% alcohol content...some other states do.

The effect of 15% plus "gasohol" is similar to the circa 2000 mandate, 100% in place by 2014, for ultra low sulfur diesel fuels. It will be more abrasive/corrosive to most engines (other than specific design flex-fuel engines) and in all case produce less fuel mileage.

Anyone using 15% or more gasohol in engines other than specifically designed "flex-fuel" engines is just asking for an engine failure.

Pay no attention to the senior bureaucrats behind the curtain, because shut up.

Rabel said...

My grass and my neighbors are waiting on me to replace a seal in my mower eaten up by E10 gas.

Side note: I bought the mower when I bought the house 22 years ago. I've never changed the oil. Winning!

Aridog said...

What the hell...OT...rhhardin...if you are reading here, I love how your new dog has grown from little puppy to big puppy. Beautiful dog. A fitting successor to Vickie. I wish I knew the puppy's name...one of these times put it up on your blog posts. Please.