Friday, April 11, 2014

UNM Hospital Helicopter Crash

I'm not sure when this happened.  I didn't know about it until I asked my friend who was giving me a ride what all the firemen at the hospital were there for and she said, oh, a helicopter crashed on the roof.

















Everyone is okay.  Hurt a little, but can you imagine if it went over the edge? The passenger brought to the hospital was already out and they were taking off again.

Any Saturday classes at UNM are cancelled tomorrow because there may be a power outage.  I believe that the hospital is going to go to back-up generators.  I have no idea why getting a crane to get the copter wreckage down would cause a power outage, but maybe they're worried that they'll drop it on power lines?

Here's another picture.

9 comments:

Chip Ahoy said...

It looks like a dead bug.

Chip Ahoy said...

Like this.

Synova said...

Oh, I like that.

Synova said...

I suppose someone is filming them taking it off the roof today.

What I don't really understand is why they didn't cut it up into pieces and just haul it down the stairs...

Maybe someone else has an idea about why they couldn't do that.

deborah said...

I had an EMT friend once who was on the hospital helicopter team. Very dangerous job, naturally.

He told a story once explaining why he always kept his cell phone on him. Apparently some guy he knew was in a medical helicopter crash that occurred near a major highway. He was thrown clear. He was alive, but couldn't move to crawl to the highway, had no cell, and died. Something like that.

He also told the story that the day he sold his car to a friend in another state, her medical helicopter crashed into a power line(?) and she died.

JAL said...

Those guys are lucky. Blessed, whatever.

The one that went down in Seattle was taking off and a mechanical failure rotated it into the ground.

I have a family member who is a helo pilot.

JAL said...

Synova -- it is probably salvageable.

Lifting it off with a crane would take less time, also.

Synova said...

I got a text from the university that they got it down and the area is cleared.

Leland said...

It is dangerous to operate cranes near energized power lines. If they can be shut down, they usually are.