Saturday, March 8, 2014

R&B Trip

Way back yonder, when I was completing High school in Jersey City, once, having started it in Massachusetts. I was bused, mornings, from Jersey City to a Vocational School in North Bergen and transported back to the Jersey City High School around noon.

The bus driver was a crusty old timer, of Italian heritage, or so I believe. He could have been Irish, he was definitely not German. Don't ask me how I know. I'm guessing.

The driver had installed a radio in the bus. These were the days when the boom box was peaking, just before the Sony Walkman. So it was either a student boom box, or, the astute bus driver's work around.

However, the good intentions of the bus driver, installing that radio at his own expense, it wasn't long before a strong disagreement, as to what type of station to play, threatened the peace and tranquility of the ride, which lasted about half an hour, one way.

So, the driver had the idea of dividing the listening pleasure, between two stations the students would agree upon. If the Urban R&B station played in the morning the Rock station played in the afternoon, and then the following week, the driver would switch the stations to Rock in the morning and R&B in the afternoon. The stations were PLJ and BLS (always imitated but never duplicated)

Here is a big R&B hit I remember listening to...


Goosebumps


3 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I know, it's lip-synched, lip singed... whatever, it was a great song.

deborah said...

Great story, Lem. It's funny how we remember our bus drivers. We should considering how long some of us spent on the but. My ride was one hour each way...and that was in a city.

Trooper York said...

WBLS was a great station.