Friday, March 21, 2014

petunias



These three lights were not replaced as instructed so this is running underpowered. They are proprietary lights, more expensive than need be, that bums me out and causes me to resist their wily marketing ways, plus they sure are bright. These three are actually quite old. I've been using the whole setup without plants as photography lamp for a year. That right there is bad and yet the thing is going satisfactorily if not going full blazes. 

Other plants from seeds are doing well by the 40W fluorescence I bought on the fly through eBay. I have fifty of them. They bummed me out too, at first, because they start out not so bright, you can watch the bulb brighten as it warms up but not in a spiral as you expect because the spiral is two tubes, the in and the out twisted together, so it weirdly fills in with light. Blinding light. The baby plants love it. Grow right up to it to touch it. And fast too. Tomatoes, and chiles, different types. And oranges from navel oranges that oddly grew seeds this year. I planted them and they are growing. 



5 comments:

deborah said...

I've found that grape tomatoes have an especially good taste.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

If Chick were here he'd say those tomatoes are going to be low on halogen.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

this is a tough crowd ;)

deborah said...

It's brutal here, Lem :)

What's good on tomatoes is halite.

Unknown said...

Petunias! Glorious Petunias.