Thursday, February 6, 2014

KLEM FM



The Doors first released "Indian Summer" on their 1970 LP Morrison Hotel, but that song -- or part of it -- was already 4 years old.* "Indian Summer" sounds out of place amid the raucous strut and swagger of "Roadhouse Blues" and the others. Only "Blue Sunday" -- inseparable from the cynical "Peace Frog" -- echoed a message of love. But those two entwined songs juxtaposed where The Doors were in 1970 and not four years earlier.

"Indian Summer" is a lone piece of unguarded sensitivity. If you listen, you can hear the musical strains of "The End" and "When The Music's Over" -- songs recorded in the band's initial flowering from 1966 to 1967. The rest of Morrison Hotel belongs to the post-Summer of Love era -- after all of the violence of 1968-69. But "Indian Summer" can't be a reference to the Summer of Love because it antedates it by a year.*

Allegedly, the song's lyrics were wholly Morrison's and were rooted in his high school noodlings. So who were they meant for...Pamela Courson? No, I think "Blue Sunday" was her song -- but not "Indian Summer." I think it was an early version of his paean to all women (or at least his women) -- his love song writ larger -- "L.A. Woman."

In any case, "Indian Summer" was a piece of The Doors' early history, preserved and released on their penultimate studio LP.  At this point in time those songs all run together and may sound old. But back then that song was like a gorgeous summer day which arrived a couple years late in the fall of the 1960's.
__________________________
*My copy from iTunes, available on a 40th anniversary rerelease came labelled "Indian Summer (8/19/66 Vocal)."

This video purports to be an original 1966 version of "Indian Summer" however the audio quality is so poor that it's difficult to tell which if any instrument/vocal tracks were recycled or if it was just an earlier take:


17 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Kiner, Hall of Fame slugger, broadcaster, dies at 91

john said...

But Morrison's still alive, you know.

Bleach Drinkers Curing Coronavirus Together said...

Can any of the computer geeks tell me if there's an advantage to downloading Chrome onto a Mac to overcome the Flash virus (preventing this video from playing) as opposed to another method for enabling the latest version? I tried downloading the latest version from the link multiple times and it still didn't work on Safari. Thanks.

chickelit said...

R&B: If you're having troubling watching the videos here are the YouTube links:

first

second

Is anyone else unable to play these?

chickelit said...

Lem said...
Kiner, Hall of Fame slugger, broadcaster, dies at 91

You could write a blog post on him but you'd be aping Althouse.

deborah said...

"You could write a blog post on him but you'd be aping Althouse."

As long as he's not dogging her, I don't see a problem.

Now, what are the top ten played songs on your iTunes?

Michael Haz said...

I was in Chicago this afternoon and evening. Stopped for dinner at 7:00. Jim Morrison was the bartender. He looked well.

Michael Haz said...

Oddly enough, the AA topic neglected to discuss Kiner's views about feminism and same sex marriage.

chickelit said...

1 In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East
2 Frederick Patti Smith Group
3 Sara Fleetwood Mac
4 It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It) The Rolling Stones
5 Baby Blue Badfinger
6 Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald Gordon Lightfoot
7 Talk of the Town Pretenders
8 God Only Knows The Beach Boys
9 Who Was In My Room Last Night? Butthole Surfers
10 Play Me Neil Diamond

deborah said...

Thanks :)

deborah said...

I'll try to find my top ten, but I'll need to be at my pc, which is where my ipod is loaded from, which I'm away from. I can't see how to do it with just the my ipod mini.

chickelit said...

Yes, I cut a pasted it from my itunes page on my macbook. I had to edit out the album titles and the year (I sort all my tunes by date).

deborah said...

k

Trooper York said...

Top Ten on my I-pod this month
10. In the Garden- Van Morrison
9. Have a Little Faith in Me- Delbert McClinton
8. Black Coffee- Julie London
7. Kick in the Head- Dean Martin
6. Oh What a Night- Frankie Vallie and Four Seasons
5. The Way You Look Tonight- Frank Sinatra
4. Choices- George Jones
3. Turn the Beat Around-Vicki Sue Robinson
2. Take Me to the River- Al Green
1. I Feel Good- James Brown

Yes I am all over the map.

deborah said...

Hey Troop, thanks for the Van Morrison titles in the other thread. My song knowledge of him is limited so I hadn't heard of any of them. I'll see if that album you mentioned is available full length at youtube.

Unknown said...

I, too, like this song. Although it doesn't contain many lyrics, it is beautiful nonetheless. Jim sang beautiful love songs. I hope you don't mind, but I reblogged your post on http://www.jimmorrisonproject.com/entry/2014/02/klem-fm

chickelit said...

I am honored, Joanne.