Sunday, February 9, 2014

"I saw online that there was a Dumb Starbucks sign. One of my friends posted about it, and I live across the street, so I just walked over,"

"A store labeled as "Dumb Starbucks," using the Starbucks corporate logo and bearing an almost identical look to an actual Starbucks, opened up in Los Feliz on Friday, according to employees."

It's open until 6 p.m. Saturday, and the drinks are free as part of what a barista called a "grand opening," but it was unclear if they would remain free Sunday. The menu was limited."



Business was steady Saturday afternoon — although there was no business license or health code rating posted in the establishment. The baristas said they were hired from Craigslist."



Customers seemed confused about what exactly was going on."

Brown speculated that it might be either an art project or a TV prank show."

The @dumbstarbucks Twitter account was already picking up steam Saturday."

4 comments:

Chip S. said...

I don't think it'll last.

Too much competition from the nearby Coffee Leaf & Tea Bean.

bagoh20 said...

Related: How safe is it to use wifi in a Starbucks. Do you need to avoid sending any passwords or credit card numbers, cause that makes it pretty useless?

Last week I went to Vegas for a three day visit that turned into a full week at my friend's internet-free home. Luckily, I rooted my Android phone and made it into a wifi hotspot without needing to pay AT&T their bogus tethering fee. That worked surprisingly well. I had my cell phone feeding music to the stereo via Pandora, while simultaneously feeding my tablet (MS Surface) internet via the wifi. The signal was strong all though the house and the music plus online video all streamed through smoothly with no buffering. I was blown away. 4G LTE is amazing. Of course, I blew through my 3 gigs of "unlimited" data in no time, but still at $10 each additional Gig, and a gig lasting a couple days, it was well worth it. I could get music, and be on my work computer in another state via Log Me In, and watch videos on how to remodel a bathroom all at the same time, and my Galaxy II phone is 2 years old. Incredible times we live in.

Known Unknown said...

This, while temporarily funny, is shitty.

"Unfortunately the only way to use their intellectual property under fair use is if we are making fun of them."

Use their intellectual property? To make money?

I hope they get their asses handed to them in court.

The Crack Emcee said...

A breath of fresh air.

People are pretty dumb, y'know,...