Saturday, February 15, 2014

Facercise



This works. For reals. 

It sounds goofy in places, new-age-like in certain exercises, "imagine the energy going into your cheeks" it is her way of describing what she is doing and it works.

My eye was closed, a tooth bashed through a cheek, the whole half of my face was damaged. I could not speak properly nor brush my teeth. I waited before going into the doctor, as I do, a miracle could happen overnight you know, within the first week you know, there is no point in rushing to doctors all the time in my world view, healing itself is a miracle, so bring it. That's my attitude. 

Before my description of my complaint was finished the doctor's nurse said, "Bell's palsy." 

I hate that. 

How dare her be so astute. 

Turns out she is right. Doctor described he's seen two types. One heals quickly the other heals not at all. I was hoping for the first type but that was not to be. 

Online sources are discouraging. Forget about it. And now I do see these faces all over. On Talking Heads, on Fox News, On C-Span. All over. 

I am telling you the exercises in this book helped me locate the muscles to tweak. They are hard to find when they are unresponsive. When they are dead. By isolating them and tweaking one side you can feel what is required on the other and keep at it until something happens. And that is what happened to me.

I recommend this book, Facercise by Carole Maggio, and I don't care how silly it sounds. It changed my life immeasurably. 

4 comments:

Shouting Thomas said...

Doesn't sound silly to me.

I've been doing yoga face and neck exercise for a long time.

Yes, it works.

My problem is arthritis which is most severe in my neck and shoulders. Yoga brings relief.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry you are suffering with bp, chip. Glad to know these exercises bring relief.

Unknown said...

A friend will bring his daughter to ca for a special surgery/ treatment. one of five docs in us to do it. I'll find more info.

rcocean said...

Sorry to hear it Chip. I had an uncle with BP, but his healed quickly within a couple months. One side of his face just drooped, so it was sorta of a mild BP.