Monday, January 6, 2014

magnifying lens

Well, since you cannot comment down there comment here. Tell me how wrong I am. Because at the doctor's office I was sitting there in a little room waiting for ten minutes and a couple things happened in there while waiting.

1) I was holding reading glasses in my hand and notice the lenses magnified the carpet magnificently. At arms length I could read the carpet like a carpet examiner. Every fiber showed up brilliantly, every weave and irregularity every fragment and I was amazed.

It seems a simple thing but there it is, the carpet on display on the surface of the lens bigger than the actual carpet. How does the glass make it actually bigger on the surface of the lens than it is in real life? How? What kind of magic is this?

I think I figured it out. The lens bends the light waves within the glass, for light is waves in this model here not photons, or perhaps the light is continuous streams of photons, lines. Within the lens the lines are bent outward toward the edges of the lens. Everything is bent outward so everything appears larger on the surface. The eyeball isn't doing anything unusual with the glass, the glass is not tricking the eye.


The lines go through the lens but bend within the lens and lines are distorted, exaggerated in the center from the bottom of the lens to the top of the lens and lost from the bottom edges out the sides and nothing unusual happens with the eyeball, it sees things normally including the surface of the lens.

So there's that. 

Ten minutes is a long time in a room by myself, he's lucky I didn't start playing with the equipment he leaves there, tuning forks and such, there are some interesting things to get into. I closed my eyes and looked up at the light and that backlit all the junk in my eyes alarmingly. My tears are filthy. I couldn't believe all the grit in there, and wondered, how am I going to cry all that out. It worried me. I tilted my head and all the grit in there sloshed to the side, then tilted the opposite way and all the junk in my tears sloshed to the opposite side. I tilted my head back and forth like a windshield wiper, the junk sloshing inside tears like a washing machine. That's right when the doctor walked in.

"What's wrong with you?"


Man, this is a dirty town. Disturbing, isn't it? I bet you have grit in your eyes too.

8 comments:

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

After forty-five odd years or so, I learned only recently that tear ducts are like a downspout on a roof gutter and that they don't actually produce the tears.

Astonishing!

Sydney said...

Nothing's wrong with you.

Ignorance is Bliss said...

Your image about how a magnifying glass works is badly wrong. Try this one.

edutcher said...

If I can see to read, I'm happy.

(hey, if I can see to see, I'm happy)

JAL said...

Floaters. You have floaters? I thought only old people like me had floaters (which I no longer "see" though they are still there floating).

And reading glasses are magnifying lenses to start with. Aren't they?

JAL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chip Ahoy said...

No Bliss, my image is better than that one. I reject that. It doesn't even make sense. Where does the giant spider come from? It looks projected on the wall. No. The amazing thing is the enlargement is on the surface of the lense and bigger than the actual weave. Were I to stick my face right in the carpet, or touch it with my fingers, it is smaller than the image on the surface of the lens.

All those other pictures I looked at show the wrong thing. Mine is better. The distortion occurs within the lens, not criss-crossy within or outside of the eyeball or lens. The photons always stream straight except inside the lense, and no giant image is ever projected anywhere as the example you linked. I am right and everybody else is wrong. Sometimes I just have to accept this uncomfortable fact.

JAL said...

Dies it matter that most glasses have coated lenses?