Saturday, January 4, 2014

Be good Johnny (Open Thread)


 

"The song is written from the viewpoint of a 9-year-old boy who is constantly being told to be good, but prefers to daydream rather than concentrate in class or play sports. Johnny feels like he understands some of his instructions, but also that he is completely misunderstood by the adult world. The lead singer, Colin Hay, uses his voice in different ways throughout the song to imitate Johnny, Johnny's mother and father, and his teacher. The song also features spoken dialog by keyboardist Greg Ham as he tries to figure out what Johnny is like. The title of the song is a reference to Johnny B. Goode."

9 comments:

deborah said...

Catchy tune. I caught myself singing the chorus a couple minutes later.

Just how stoned is the lady in red?

Chip Ahoy said...

Today I heard a sample of Ray of LIght, but with Cher, and I have to say my natural repulsion to both Madonna and Cher was overcome immediately. I like watching her act. Cher. And I liked that sample too. It was the part that goes,

I belie~~e~e~e~e~e~eve

So I thought, "that is a song the kids would interpret. Go look." So I did look. Nobody did interpret Ray of Light. Madonna is not that popular a singer to interpret. Surprising, eh?

deborah said...

Gotta go to bed...3:21 here...will you give a link, please. Night-night.

Michael Haz said...

Colin Hay still has great chops. And I'd bet that Whirling Dervish Girl is an interesting circus ride.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

An awards show stage, crowded with too many musicians and celebrities, all performing Johnny B. Goode, mostly because it's fundamental, isn't one of those things I find especially appealing.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Made curious, I clicked on the video to check out the Chick-in-Red.

My impression? She'd benefit from dropping a few pounds and making the effort to comport herself with a bit more dignity, but that's just me.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Perhaps I should add that I like the guy's guitar and he has an interesting profile.

The Dude said...

Interesting song. Great drumming.

My understanding is that the woman's other job is doing sign language interpreting at state funerals.

deborah said...

Hee.