Monday, January 13, 2014

Advice


Openness

Sort of.  I've been here, what?, jeeze going on seven years. I've been in and out of all the things to get in and out of around here. I am recognized on the street. People around shopkeepers and workers who were at first taciturn are now openly friendly. 

A liquor store at the corner took up in my building street level. They are directly below now so it is convenient to drop in there and pick up a 12-pack of Pepsi, or Coke and here and there throughout the years some types of fortified wine for cooking, Madeira, Marsala, Vermouths, saki, and such.  

So they know that I really cannot handle alcohol and they are pretty much a central attraction for all types so I am not their usual type customer. Now when I go in at odd hours it may be dark all around, not much activity outside, few cars, fewer people, sparse customers. It is a very large bottle shop, brightly lit and only us two.

"There he is."

"You know, when tragedy first befell me and bones were broken in both my legs and feet I was really bummed out."

The guy who works there is a very tall and somewhat odd and imposing man. His visage changed. He prepared for something intimate. Something psychological perhaps. He's not the type of person to listen to that sort of thing. I know that.

"Because I realized I can be tracked so easily."

"What?"

"The snow outside reminded me. It goes footprint, footprint, footprint, footprint, dot, dot, dot."

"Yeah."

"And the thought was depressing, 'There goes my life of hijinks. My future of nefarious activities just gone.' "

I was walking toward him and now turned and walked down an aisle away from him toward the usual spot where the Pepsis are so with no eye contact he yelled at me from behind me down the aisle but throughout the entire place, there was nobody else there, suggestions for how I can cover my tracks.

Now that right there is funny. He is sincerely trying to help me be more comfortable and cover my tracks.

"You can alternate using the canes, hold one up." 

"You can step in previous steps." 

"You can return in your own steps." 

"You can use something else for balance."

"You can drag branches behind you." 

I bought the 12-pack and slipped it into my backpack. The procedure a bit ritualistic.

The next day I was outside walking home from dinner. Hardly anybody outside again, very late. Beautiful night too. The whole street is dark, the street itself actually black. Only a few small places open, and only one providing bright light spilling onto the sidewalk. The whole street reminds one of a Hooper painting having to do with urban solitude.

There is a double glass door in the center of the bottle shop. Two women walk out and turn ahead of me going in my direction. The pair bought something there and passed from the light of the shop into relative darkness. They are more attractive than shown below. Dressed darkly, they are two shadow-figures walking together that glide ahead straight to their car. They are parked directly in front of my front door. As I stepped into the light of the liquor store this happened, it is the sort of thing teenage boys do:




It took me a long moment to realize he is telling me to pursue them. As if. 

10 comments:

deborah said...

Okay, I was sitting up in bed reading this, and when I came to the 'you can use branches to cover your tracks,' I fell over to the side suppressing laughter, tears of laughter, and tears. I'm pretty much cried out today, but then again I'm pretty selfish.

rhhardin said...

I just did Hopper

Michael Haz said...

They won't know that it's you if you do this one simple thing: buy shoes with flat, rubber soles. And using your best and sharpest Exacto knife, carefully carve NOT CHIP on each sole.

That way when it becomes necessary to walk in snow or mud or play dough or something, those tracking you will pause and say "Well, that's NOT CHIP and move on to tracking someone else.

It's easier than carrying branches.
___________________________________

I really enjoyed the posting. Great writing, Chip. That story drew me in and wouldn't let go.

virgil xenophon said...

LOL. Chip is on a roll--THE man here@chez Lem!

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Get a cane with a rubber velociraptor foot on the bottom of it. Not only will it provide better stability it would be very cool to confound people with a one legged dinosaur track in the snow. Or....use two canes and make it look like the velociraptor is running after you.

Clever girl.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

(1) I like the name "bottle shop."

Someone once told me that they have these bottle shops in London where you can buy a bottle of wine and then walk through to another section (which is legally another store) which is like a charcuterie and sit down and have sort of an urban picnic.

Sounded nifty to me at the time but I've likely bollixed up all the details so maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it at all.

(2) Speaking of things I probably shouldn’t have mentioned at all, a long time ago I was having sex with two women in the same bed.

They were on their hands and knees, side by side, and I would give ten pumps to one and then ten pumps to the other.

It was sort of a game to see where things would end, so to speak. And yes, drugs were involved.

Well, somewhere along the line, I made the mistake of expressing aloud a preference for one vagina over the other and that’s where things ended. Game over.

(3) Perhaps I should mention that the story set out at (2), above, is 100% completely fictitious.

Unknown said...

They might be a little freaked out of you approach them too quickly. I'd suggest you stand there and look like Chip. The cutest guy on the interwebs.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Speaking of 100% falsehood, here's a story that's 100% completely true.

I was in London, once, and met a friend for lunch at The Cheshire Cheese, in the financial district.

I wanted to have the full native experience, so I got a pint and whatever the lunch thing was that came with two of those authentic British sausages. My friend warned me that they can take some getting used to.

Holy shit!!! I managed to get the first one down but only out of some weird, misplaced sense of he-man pride. My friend had to go back to work but I spent the rest of the afternoon wandering aimlessly around London trying to walk off the feeling that I was about to throw up at any instant. Never again!

So, anyway, whatever became of my second sausage?

That's right. You guessed it. My friend had three, . . . the no good bastard.

ricpic said...

Was it a blood sausage?

MamaM said...

Although I saw and enjoyed this post when it came online last night, it took til this afternoon to realize a Virtual Pop-Up Story had been presented, in electronic form rather than paper. Included with the story: a pop up Aha! at the ending, a pop-up art link, and good ol' Pop Eye himself to help make the final point! Good stuff.