Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Where are your fathers?


Anecdote alert:

Con permiso, if you can stand it, in-between K and 1st grade I was sitting there minding my own biz wax when my Father said, "I want to talk to you two boys alone." And I was all "Goodie!" Because I love special attention like that. He became very serious and said he took a phone call from some person in town. We lived in a small town in Pennslyvania at the time, amusing to me now, named Duchshore. Exactly like Mayberry except not Southern. Laugh at the name if you like, I won an art contest there first prize in the whole town for painting a Halloween scene on a window. 

The caller said he observed my older brother, Barry, pick up an apple from an outside display. I pictured the display in my mind. I knew what he was talking about. The town seemed far from where we lived, but it was probably around the corner, within walking distance. The caller said he observed Barry think about stealing it, and then set the apple back down. He did not steal the apple. But it looked like he was going to.

For that moral instinct my father ceremoniously awarded my glorious older brother, Barry, a dollar. And not just a regular dollar, a big heavy metal silver dollar. And I got nuth'n. 

Except Barry's lesson and reward by observation. Moral tautology by osmosis. Second-hand. Like the shirt. So thanks for that, you two. I guess. 

But at the time I was sitting there thinking with my paucity of vocabulary and pathetic means of streaming thought, 

"Shit. This hardly bends the arc of the moral universe toward justice in my direction, now does it?" 

But in child-like more innocent words. Actually, I recall thinking, wow, you got a dollar!

Scene two. 

Bait Car on t.v. They go to minority neighborhoods and create a tempting situation with a tricked out vehicle that can be lock down remotely. Put on your most cartoonish Mexican accent to read this: "Oh man, you guys don't even play cops and robbers no fair no more." That was amusing to the arresting officer because the crook was being honest and direct in his self-awareness. 

The episode I saw depicted one young black man after another, three in a row. Inside the car they are recorded talking to themselves about the situation they are entering and doing. When arrested they all feign innocence and offer an explanation in contrast to the recording. When presented with the recording and their story collapses in each case there is a moment where the dynamic changes, the arresting officer becomes parental. All three exchanges track with transactional analysis, the dialogue becomes Parent-child. 

"You took something that does not belong to you." 

A sentence so simple it cannot be misunderstood. That is the thing a parent says to a child when they are very young. Their heads drop as if hearing it for the first time, or remembering something distant. 

The cop's attitude then seemed to be, well, let's use this bait car and go do us some parenting. 

The young man says, "This is entrapment." 

And it is!

The cop says, "No. Entrapment is where I say, "Hey, there's a car over there, it's probably a great idea to steal that car." Did anybody say, "Hey, go steal that car?""

Glumly, "No." 

There is acting when presenting the false story. We observe their behavior when they are acting. They are not good actors. They had no sense of being observed in the car, they do, of course, when arrested, at that point the camera is overt. I honestly got the sense these men, all three, were actually hearing this type parenting for the first time because that look of a young child hearing the words come from his father is Oscar material compared to the story they give to the officer when first arrested. Maybe not. But it made me sad to think it. 

14 comments:

KCFleming said...

Imagine no possessions.

Well, except for the The Dakota apartment on West 72nd Street, and a net worth of $800 million when he died.

Imagine several generations of boys entirely raised by their mothers. It's easy if you try.

No hell below us, so why not steal?

Imagine all the people, living for today, because if there's no tomorrow, and above us only sky, and all property is theft, "You took something that does not belong to you." is meaningless.



Great post, Chip.

The Dude said...

It's a Great Society. Help yourself.

Unknown said...

"Shit. This hardly bends the arc of the moral universe toward justice in my direction, now does it?"

Sing it.

Ignorance is Bliss said...

So how many times did you go out and try to make it look like you were considering stealing something, in the hopes that your father would get another phone call?

AllenS said...

"I almost stole a purse today, dad, but I didn't."

"Heh, thanks for the big heavy metal silver dollar. What will it take to get a raise?"

Shouting Thomas said...

My father is in heaven.

Thanks God, Dad was a great guy.

President-Mom-Jeans said...

Excellent post.

bagoh20 said...

I don't remember much talk of moral teaching by either parent. There was just stuff you always knew was wrong, and it seems like you knew it from birth. The parenting I enjoyed was limited to an understanding that if you do the wrong thing you will get your ass whipped with the belt. It happened a few times, and it never ever actually hurt, but I was always terrified of getting caught doing something wrong. I didn't fear the belt, I feared the loss of respect from my parents. The spanking was like a family demotion, a kind of cashiering with a drawn out ceremony that involved me going to my room, dropping my pants, and bending over the bed where I would be given plenty of time to reflect before the unenthusiastic flogger arrived to deliver a mostly symbolic beating accompanied by my purely symbolic crying. It was all theater and everyone knew it, but it was effective. It felt exactly like This

bagoh20 said...

Everyone knows wrong from right instinctively . I think there may even be some genetic instinctual basis like a retriever breed loving to swim and fetch. At the very least it is learned early from the culture and from dealing with others vying for resources even within a family. In addition, we all want respect and to be thought of as good and honest, even the evil motherfuckers want that.

What differs among us is our justifications and excuses, and how easily we resort to them.

Aridog said...

AllenS for the thread win!

I'm Full of Soup said...

Good work Chip!

rcocean said...

You shouldn't steal. But then Marx-Lenin said that all Capital and property is theft from the workers.

And of course, all of the USA was stolen from the Indians.

So, how can you steal property that's been stolen? What if Property IS theft?

Revenant said...

No hell below us, so why not steal?

I'm amused that you assume the perps aren't Christian. Virtually all poor black people are. Christians are actually over-represented in American prisons, largely because of the incarceration rate among black Americans

What we see here isn't an example of people behaving immorally in the absence of religion. What we see here is an example of how religion really does nothing to encourage moral behavior when there isn't a social network supporting those choices.

No hell below us, so why not steal?

A person who does the right thing out of fear of punishment isn't moral. He's just pragmatic.

MamaM said...

Not stealing an apple: Silver dollar material.
Taking a story about not stealing an apple and turning it into gold: Priceless.

As for winning a town art contest: Prescient!