Tuesday, December 3, 2013

"That Armpit Odor Says a Lot About Who You Are"

"That microbes are actually the makers of mammalian pheromones is an idea that dates back to the 1970s when several scientists proposed the "fermentation hypothesis." Their idea was that, because scent glands are typically found in warm, damp, low-oxygen areas of the body, microbes that thrive in those areas ferment the body's nutrient-rich secretions into the odorous chemical signals used by most mammals to communicate."

"The fermentation hypothesis has been difficult to test in any definitive way, until recently."

Pacific Standard via Instapundit

2 comments:

bagoh20 said...

I don't know why, but about 15 years ago I just suddenly stopped getting B.O. unless I worked really hard and long. I don't even need deodorant anymore, and I used to get pretty stinky well before lunch. Some kind of male menopause or something. There are of course plenty of unappreciated changes that have occurred as I got older, but a few changes are quite welcome. Another one is that although I dream often and as much as ever, I almost never have nightmares anymore.

edutcher said...

When he was coming back from Borodino (or Austerlitz or someplace), Napoleon told his main squeeze not to wash, thus establishing an honored French tradition.