Tuesday, November 12, 2013

"To ride the Moscow subway for free, do 30 squats"

"As part of a Russian campaign to make citizens healthier, riders who buy a ticket at Vystavochnaya station in western Moscow have the option of paying in squats."
"We wanted to show that the Olympic Games is not just an international competition that people watch on TV, but that it is also about getting everyone involved in a sporting lifestyle," Alexander Zhukov, president of the Russian Olympic Committee, told Russian state news wire RIA-Novosti, according to the Wall Street Journal.

"It was hard at first but I managed it," Lyudmila, a young woman who tested the machine, told AFP. "Two minutes is enough time."
CNET

5 comments:

ampersand said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric the Fruit Bat said...

That's kinda weird because 30 is the number of squats I do at any given time.

I just sort of settled on the number through trial and error.

That said, there's no fucking way I'd perform like a circus animal for subway fare.

bagoh20 said...

So, you give a special deal to people who are young, healthy and unimpaired. You would think that would be enough reward on it's own. Let's punish crippled grandma, just for fun.

bagoh20 said...

So let me get this straight: I won't exercise even though it will make me feel better, look better, live longer, and get laid more, but I will to get free subway fare?

I don't think they thought this through.

deborah said...

Good one, amp.

I've been doing a few squats now and then, and balancing on one of those exercise balls, trying different exercises.

Actually the subway idea is kinda cute. Gets people thinking and having fun.