Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Sinking Of The Reuben James

This post probably belongs below the fold in my last one about JFK-era American folk songs. This one is special for a couple reasons:

(1) The song is from 1961 and was released around the 20th anniversary of the sinking of the USS Reuben James. JFK had his own naval experience memorialized by Jimmy Dean around that time.

(2) The Reuben James sinking predated Pearl Harbor by a full 5 weeks and yet is largely forgotten. Imagine the outrage with today's news cycle.

(3) The song was written by Woody Guthrie at a time when both the political right and left could still unite against common enemies.

(4) Guthrie originally intended to include the names of every sailor lost in the sinking, but settled for "what were their names;"  The maker of this YouTube video admirably succeeds at Guthrie's original goal. I liken the effect to releasing the men's names from the blackened depths--like bubbles coming to the surface each time the song is played:


The Kingston Trio added their own flourish at the end:
Many years have passed since those brave men are gone,
Those cold icy waters they're still and they're calm,
Many years have passed and still I wonder why,
The worst of men must fight and the best of men must die.

8 comments:

I'm Full of Soup said...

I thought he was an American Idol winner?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I'm back.

Thanks for filling in for me.

And as always thanks for your support.

chickelit said...

I didn't even know you were gone Lem. :)

rcocean said...

Guthrie was a commie and only sang about the "Reuben James" because the sinking occurred after June 22, 1941.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I was.

edutcher said...

One of my faves by the Trio.

rcocean said...

Guthrie was a commie and only sang about the "Reuben James" because the sinking occurred after June 22, 1941.

Few people remember that, before Barbarossa, the hard Lefties wanted FDR to declare war on Britain because the Krauts were Uncle Joe's allies.

Revenant said...

The Merry Minuet is still my favorite of theirs.

chickelit said...

Revenant said...
The Merry Minuet is still my favorite of theirs.

That song is amazing for it perennial political accuracy. It just never gets old.