Saturday, November 16, 2013

Lies, the lies!

Years ago I was amazed and dismayed, depressed how quickly everyone I knew was to reach the conclusion Bush lied about Iraq. Why? So that he could attack. Why would he want to attack? Retribution for Saddam targeting his dad. That is an unhealthy motive to project onto somebody, a president of the United States. Well, because Republicans are war mongers then, everybody knows that.

Then Colin Powell supported their suspicion he was pressured to exaggerate, lie outright to the U.N.

The first person I heard was a comedian with a chip on his shoulder and very long on opinion and partisan take on things.  

The very next day every person I knew was adamant Bush lied. Bush lied people died. 

It became axiomatic overnight and I am not exaggerating. That is my perception. A landslide of agreement about the obviousness of Bush's lying about Iraq.

And no-bidding contracts that go to Halliburton

And the VP being associated with Halliburton. It is all so glaringly obvious. 

And everybody hates us. 

There would be no convincing otherwise. Their minds were sealed. The conclusion made. In unison. Once one person said it and was not zapped from above, it made it universally okay to unleash their id. It would be a matter of hammering that conclusion into my head at every single occasion thereafter. They were on their high moral ground and absolutely brooked no other conversation. No other conversation was possible. Thereafter every date was infected with political vitriol, every birthday, every wedding, every funeral, every gathering, every bar mitzvah and cocktail togetherness, every dinner together became like entering a viper pit, no haircut complete until I was envenomated.

Envenomated. That is what that that whole period was. Intolerable. I broke it off with dozens of people. Scores of people. All of them. I moved and didn't bother with notifications. That is how disastrous that was. And frankly, I am better off without the venom. That situation persists to this day.

In fact, I'm faster at elimination than ever. New acquaintances don't get one-tenth the chances previous friendships received. There is simply no time and no energy for any of that anymore.

Man, am I ever glad those dark months and years of projecting the most sinister motive imaginable, and imagining no others, and leaping like Olympic athletes to sinister conclusions are completely over. We have obviously matured as a nation. 

overly simplistic guarantee

accurate, not precise enough
“soundbites” Carrie Budoff  politico
“pithy promises” Carrie Budoff  politico

22 comments:

edutcher said...

That line, "Their minds were sealed.", says it all.

They needed an excuse to go after him for fighting back, both against the Moslems after 9/11 and them after FL came in.

Michael Haz said...

I'm racist. I know this because Oprah told me it is so.

virgil xenophon said...

Oh, we're FAR worse--we're white racist scoundrels!

Unknown said...

Oprah jumped the shark. It took a village, but she did it.

Unknown said...

Obama lies, and we're racists.
Many other democrats, who are not black, they lie too-- and we are racists.
5 million people are out of health insurance because of an over-reaching authoritarian ideological law, and we are racists.
Bravo NYT. Brilliant deduction.

Shouting Thomas said...

@April

That scam has been paying off for a long time.

They ain't gonna give it up. Too much money involved. Plus, it's a way to shut up your opposition.

Unknown said...

They don't have an argument, so yeah - the race card trumps all.

Unknown said...

Chip's second link - They continue to lie.
Top Dem Admits: ‘We Knew’

Unknown said...

It is funny to watch the democrats ALL attempt to dis-own one another.

Unknown said...

Heh.

ricpic said...

Obama lied, people died! will never be used by the fraidycat Republicans, though it will soon be the everyday fallout from Obamacare.

Unknown said...

Pelosi: I’ve never met anyone who liked their insurance plan

"She’s completely committed to the boondoggle she foisted on America, to the point where she’s willing to tell a room full of reporters with a straight face something that would have produced a good three or four days’ worth of “out of touch” coverage if a Republican had said it. She’s like DeNiro at the end of “Cape Fear,” staring at Nick Nolte as the water keeps rising. You might beat her but you’ll never break her."

Unknown said...

"They’re still selling this as something they’re doing for healthy people rather than at their expense."

The lies and delusion continue.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Sometimes it helps to think of other people as holographic projections from outer space.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Whenever I meet a new person in a social setting, it is at first a delicate dance between us to avoid the pitfalls of conversation that will lead us into dislike or disagreement. We avoid political topics, religious topics, international relations, global warming, energy policy, terrorism, gun control the state of our educational system the NSA, the TSA.

This pretty much leaves us talking about food (avoid organic or genetically modified issues), the weather, and our pets until we determine if we are actually on the same page or not.

If we are at odds or disagree, I just leave and find someone else to talk to. Life is to short to try to discuss anything with those whose "minds are sealed".... I don't have enough sand left in my hourglass to waste on debate with idiots.

bagoh20 said...

Maybe my liberal friends are just smarter than many, but lately they have just shut up about politics altogether.

bagoh20 said...

What I love is when liberals do as Ritmo did last night and try to say the whole idea is a conservative one because a paper one time long ago suggested a mandate.

If it was working out fine, they would never try that, but it is a clear admission of abject failure when they do. How bad does something have to stink for Dems to give Republicans credit for it? Pretty freaking bad.

Every single Republican voted against it, and it passed anyway. You know it sucks. Do you understand what that means? You should stop voting Democrat, but you're just too damned dumb.

Bleach Drinkers Curing Coronavirus Together said...

Is this seriously what you stay up until 4 AM to do?

Fr Martin Fox said...

Chip:

While you wouldn't have any way to know this, I was, in my own way, a "Bush hater" from before he was elected. Not literally--I don't hate anyone--but I was strongly opposed to his nomination, and his success depressed me. Among my friends, I circulated a written "screed" predicting the political disasters to come, and I was basically right, except that it was worse than I predicted.

Mostly jokingly, I dubbed him "the Antichrist." Mostly. I thought he was going to be bad news.

So...I was predisposed to think ill of anything he did.

With all that, the "Bush lied us into war" struck me--still strikes me--as incredibly dumb. (Just as GOP-ers and conservatives have fallen for incredibly dumb attacks on Obama, such as the birther thing.)

Incredibly dumb, because it means Bush knew--KNEW--when they got there, his lie would be exposed. Why no plan to plant evidence, the way crooked cops do? Or at least have some really big kabooms as part of the attack, and then say, "oh golly, we blew up all the evidence!"

I was against that war. But it seemed to me that Bush et al. really did believe there were WMDs.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Is this seriously what you stay up until 4 AM to do?

Maybe he gets up really early and starts the day before the butt crack of dawn. There is also the issue of time zones when posting.

:-)

Dust Bunny Queen said...

For example it is not 2:55 pm where I am sitting. It is 11:55 am.

bagoh20 said...

No, Chip really is nuts like that. When everyone is asleep he's creeping around the internet in the dark moving things around just to screw with us. I think that's how heathcare.gov got messed up, also why they will never get it fixed.