Tuesday, October 22, 2013

shake

per David Burge's twitter feed. He says, "You're welcome."

High speed photographs of dogs shaking off water, by Carli Davidson. It's a book.

And the dogs are ugly. And slobbery. Except some are cute. She picked the floppiest wrinkliest most slobbery most loose-skin of all the breeds.



PETA! Dog abuse. She made dogs wet just to photograph them. You can see they're miserable and just want to be petted and loved. She's using dogs for commercial porpoises, Close her down now! Kidding. 

My dogs did not like being groomed. At first. But I made a regular thing of it, personal time. Talk to the dog the whole way through and make a vanity thing out of it. Most of it went over well eventually. They'd jump on the grooming table, accept being squirted, but not in the face. At first resisted having their nails ground down with a Dremel, hated the noise. So I brought out the hand drill, basically, allow them to investigate, turn it on, allow them to run off from the noise, pack it all up and put it away. Then do the same thing the next day. Then the next nick one little toenail. Pack it all up and put it away. Out again the next day. And so on building up confidence and number of nails nicked per session  trimming their nails one and two at a time. 

Eventually, quickly actually, after all that, the process is faster than it sounds, they're jumping on the grooming table and offering their paws like ready to enjoy having a manicure. And they are. 

But they did not accept having their tails brushed. Even if I held the hair and brushed only that. Nor did they like hair in their ears snipped. And water is fine as long as I'm wet too and it's all fun and games. But snow baths are better than water. They like being dragged through the snow and having snow balls rubbed into their fur. They shake that off and they're clean and fluffy, and dry. 

13 comments:

bagoh20 said...

I don't know if anyone else does this, but if you wash your dog in the shower, I mean get in there and take a shower with them because it kills two fleas with one shower, then you have to sometimes get them to shake before letting them out of the shower, and they just aren't ready to shake. I have found that if I shake my head like a wet dog that they will shake too. This is also how many dogs learn to lick their balls.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

I see. There is much to learn at the Levity.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

That is some serious dog jowl flying egg white spittle action.

There isn't anything cuter than a King Charles Spaniel. nope.

Titus said...

No clumbers, natch.

Clumbers are too rare and expensive.

tits.

XRay said...

You're a sick man, Bags. Though I do have a brother-in-law who showers with his cat. I guess I'm the one who is out of the loop.

Icepick said...

This is also how many dogs learn to lick their balls.

With that kind of flexibility, it's amazing you have time to comment, Bagoh.

bagoh20 said...

"... it's amazing you have time to comment, Bagoh."

One of the secrets to a happy life is knowing how pursue your pleasure with moderation so as to avoid wearing it out. I call it "addiction to moderation".

Chip Ahoy said...

That one is easy to teach, just lick the dog's balls once and they catch right on.

Trooper York said...

I once saw a video like that but it was with pussies.

Amber Lynn and Honey Wilder were in it as I recall.

Trooper York said...

I have to email Dave Atell to see if he still has a copy for his next show.

The Dude said...

The Frenchman Claude Balzac used to bathe with kitties.

Who am I kidding - a Frenchie taking a bath - pure fiction.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

Bathing with kitties is pure fiction. Nobody lives to tell.
All that's left are blood soaked tracks.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

I could be wrong.