Sunday, October 20, 2013

"Relative says family of Egyptian doctor honored by Israel won’t accept award"

AP CAIRO — "A member of the family of the first Arab honored by Israel for risking his life to save Jews during the Holocaust says the family isn’t interested in the recognition."

"The Egyptian doctor, Mohamed Helmy, was honored posthumously last month by Israel’s Holocaust memorial for hiding Jews in Berlin during the Nazis’ genocide, but a family member tracked down by The Associated Press this week in Cairo said her relatives wouldn’t accept the award, one of Israel’s most prestigious."

“If any other country offered to honor Helmy, we would have been happy with it,” Mervat Hassan, the wife of Helmy’s great-nephew, told the AP during an interview at her home in Cairo this week."

Washington Post via Tweeter's Yair Rosenberg

6 comments:

I Have Misplaced My Pants said...

Assholes.

edutcher said...

It could cost them their lives.

ricpic said...

Impossible to say what this family thinks because any show of gratitude for the award would mean no Helmy family future.

I Have Misplaced My Pants said...

When I say assholes, I mean the whole bloody lot of them.

I Have Misplaced My Pants said...

The whole culture.

I Have Misplaced My Pants said...

I lived in Riyadh for several years so I know of what I speak.