Monday, August 26, 2013

Suburban Frost Bite

Cody Jarrett recommended this Frost poem. I had never read it but it triggered a personal memory.
A Brook In The City 
The farmhouse lingers, though averse to square
With the new city street it has to wear
A number in. But what about the brook
That held the house as in an elbow-crook?
I ask as one who knew the brook, its strength
And impulse, having dipped a finger length
And made it leap my knuckle, having tossed
A flower to try its currents where they crossed.
The meadow grass could be cemented down
From growing under pavements of a town;
The apple trees be sent to hearth-stone flame.
Is water wood to serve a brook the same?
How else dispose of an immortal force
No longer needed? Staunch it at its source
With cinder loads dumped down? The brook was thrown
Deep in a sewer dungeon under stone
In fetid darkness still to live and run --
And all for nothing it had ever done
Except forget to go in fear perhaps.
No one would know except for ancient maps
That such a brook ran water. But I wonder
If from its being kept forever under,
The thoughts may not have risen that so keep
This new-built city from both work and sleep. 
~Robert Frost
There's a street in Cleveland Heights, OH called Meadowbrook Blvd. On a map, the street runs east to northwest towards the Lake. It winds through flat terrain in contrast to the surrounding grid of suburban streets. I rented an attic apartment in a house on that street about 30 years ago and I used to bike around Cleveland taking photos. One day it struck me that Meadowbrook must have been a small creek or brook at one time because of its gentle meander and because it was in a shallow valley. Cross streets dipped down and back up to traverse the road. But there was no brook in sight. I took a photo of it then to remember:


I took the photo standing on a cross street, looking down into and across the shallow dale of Meadowbrook Blvd. If you can see the small stop sign, Meadowbrook runs to the left and right at the intersection. The cross street then continues up and to the right.

I took a photo of exposed traces of cobblestones on Meadowbrook and a manhole cover.  Perhaps a fetid sewer ran under the street as the canalized remains of a brook just as in Frost's poem.




17 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Great post. As mentioned previously, I became overexposed to Frost growing up. However, I love the pictures and the memories. I like to revisit places I've lived. I wish, like you, I had taken photos so I could revisit more often.

This may ruin the mood. But, over my career I developed all kinds of pretexts. Knowing how I would get melancholy seeing an old residence, I turned that into a pretext. If I wanted to get a look around inside a house I would use, "this was my grandma's house back in the 60's, would you mind if I looked around." Now, you have to do your homework first. But, I bet my batting average on that pretext was ~.600 or .700.

chickelit said...

Nick, My aunt showed me this great old photo of my grandmother's house in Richland Center shortly after it was built in the 1920's. It was a farmhouse on the outskirts of town and was then surrounded by fields. It's still there today, but a photo taken from the same point would show it as the only original structure. It was pretty modest too -- a small two story frame house -- but they raised 8 kids in it.

ricpic said...

Frost the flower tossing farmer was rescued by a position in academe. Not that I blame him. But all this countryman stuff...he could barely stand it. Amherst and Dartmouth were the life rafts that saved him.

Cody Jarrett said...

It's kinda the way my grandparents place is (they're dead, I own it now...it's still full of their stuff which belongs to my mother, and she refuses to clean it out...it's a thing...) but when I was a kid it was pretty quiet, still kind of small town, even with a brook out back. Now there's elderly housing right out the back, a big chain drug store at the bottom of the hill...it's very depressing.

ndspinelli said...

Chick, I'll be happy to talk my way in and shoot some photos. This would be legit! Richland Center is one of my favorite towns. I worked a lot of cases there. Even worked a case in my favorite named town, Boaz. I just love saying B O A Z.

Titus said...

Frost was Sullivanist.

chickelit said...

I heard that rumor too, Titus. I think that's maybe how Frost & Sullivan came about.

yashu said...

Beautiful post & photos, Pollo. I like to take those kinds of photographs too. A big part of photography for me is that uncanny feeling of nostalgia for the present.

spinelli, I wish I could return to (and go inside) some of my old homes. Old school(s). Old haunts. That kind of experience (I've had a few) is inexpressible. Here's Abraham Lincoln's attempt to express it. (NB The poem consists of cantos; the first, more relevant portion ends at the 2nd footnote superscript, though the second canto is haunting too.)

It's a repeated theme in Woody Allen movies, too (i.e. a character returns to his/ her childhood home and relives a memory, has a dialogue with the past). Off the top of my head, Annie Hall, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Another Woman-- all (but especially the last) in homage to Bergman's Wild Strawberries.

yashu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
yashu said...

Edits:

nostalgia for the past, as well as for the present

consists of two cantos

deborah said...

Poignant post, chick. Yes, where do all of those concreted-over streams go?

I consider going back to Oceanside and looking at my old houses, but I think it would be very sad for me. I don't know.

ndspinelli said...

yashu, You can go back and see your old schools, unless they've been torn down or turned into condos. It does take some charm to get someone to let you into a house. Are you charming?

ndspinelli said...

Deborah, "Sad" might be the best reason to go. When people are sad I urge them to let the sadness flow over them. Don't fight it, embrace it. Then, at a set time, begin to let it go. I've gotten may thanks. Deal w/ sadness, don't avoid it because it always lurks.

yashu said...

Are you charming?

Well, so I've been told. At least, I can pass for charming, for a while (and then lie low to recover, introvert that I am).

It does help to be a woman in those sorts of situations. I find the same is true of street photography-- you can get more, get away with more than a man could (and can more easily defuse/ disarm, with a smile).

On the other hand, there are situations where there's more to fear as a woman (places I wouldn't go solo but wish I could, would if I were a man).

deborah said...

Thanks, Nick, that sounds like good advice. I will think about it.

ndspinelli said...

yashu, Hell..I didn't know you were a woman. I had a woman investigator work for me. She was superb and could do things men could almost never do. If she were sitting in a car doing surveillance, no one ever expected anything.

yashu said...

Hell..I didn't know you were a woman.

Heh, even after the "photo of yashu" Trooper posted? No Chelsea Manning tuck there. :)

Interesting about the woman investigator; I was curious about that and was going to ask if you knew of any woman PIs.

Yes, I imagine there are aspects of PI work at which a woman would excel (not just regardless of the fact, or despite, but because she is a woman). Cool. Being a PI is one of my fantasy jobs.