Saturday, August 3, 2013

Story hooks vs. Explanations

"Hey, did you see what I did there?"

 I've just seen both Pacific Rim and The Wolverine. Both are popcorn movies and not meant to be particularly deep. Both had obvious and less obvious elements included in their construction. Some of those included details may have been meant to support other parts that ended up on the cutting room floor, but I'd like to think that sometimes an artist/writer/director/actor includes some detail on the sly because the story-word demands it, even if very few people will notice what they've done.

 I also think that including open hooks instead of set explanations makes for richer writing and better stories. People think more when you don't do all of their thinking for them or demand that their "take" is the same as you, the creator, intended.

 I don't intend to "spoil" either of the movies, but if you're worried about it you'd probably better not read the rest.




 The first example... in Pacific Rim the pilot crews of the giant robots are made up of two people who share the neural load (a right brain and a left brain) and end up in each other's heads. Now, there is a great deal of action while ginormous alien monsters battle equally ginormous robots and consequently not a whole lot of dialog. Later in the show someone has to substitute for one half of an Australian pilot duo. I can't rewind or check if I imagined this or not, but I suddenly thought... wait, did he just acquire an Australian accent?

Assuming the actor did change his accent after his character started sharing a brain with an Australian pilot, well, that's a pretty cool detail. It could have just been the actor's idea or it may have been a greater part of the plot and description of the process that they just ran out of time for in favor of another battle. But it doesn't have to be explained, I think. Maybe it's even better if it's not explained.

 A person comes away from Pacific Rim with little understanding of the technology, little understanding of the political climate, and little understanding of the monsters. Enough hints are given that you feel that the technology is complex and flawed, the politics are complex and flawed, and the monsters are complex and flawed. It's nearly all open ended.

 The Wolverine (and this is no spoiler) can't die. He regenerates and so is stuck for centuries at the age of Hugh Jackman. That's his special power. Another character in the show has the special power of seeing the moment of a person's death. She doesn't end up being the "love interest" but she does go off with Wolverine at the end of the movie. Nothing is said about why she would do that. She says, "consider me your bodyguard," but he no longer needs a bodyguard. The real reason is never given.

 Still... if your special power is to see the moment of a person's death, who would you rather travel the world with than someone who can't die?

 The motivation of the villain is clear enough. The villain is complex and what weakness it is that tips him from heroic to evil is never insisted upon. Was he always weak? There are hints of it but it's just a hook, not an explanation of his motivation. There are a couple of other possible hooks, too, but it's up to you to decide which parts of human nature and custom you will hang on them.

 Neither movie is ever confusing, but you aren't led through them by the nose either. No one has decided that there is a message you must understand in the correct manner or who is going to scold you for getting it wrong. Each movie itself is altered by what you bring with you to the theater.

 As it should be.

 What are some of your favorite non-prescriptive moments in movies? Do you think movies are better when the audience isn't forced down a path to a particular message? Or do you like message movies the best?

31 comments:

edutcher said...

I've never gotten into all the superhero flicks; the closest I came was "Batman Forever" which has its moments.

As for the other, isn't that one of the plethora of flops this summer?

(if it keeps up, Hollyweird may actually have to start making real movies again)

Trooper York said...

That is a very interesting question Synova.

My problem is that the message I get from a movie is never the one that the filmmakers intended.

For example when I saw "West Side Story" I realized that I should never go to a dance with Puerto Ricans.

Bender said...

I have only a passing familiarity with Wolverine (from X-Men 1 and 2), but my understanding was that while he had great regenerative powers, he was not immortal. If you were to blow him to bits, he would be dead.

In this way he is unlike Capt. Jack Harkness, who because he was resurrected by the TARDIS (via Rose), really can be blown to bits, ground into dust, and still regenerate and come back to life. Even the Doctor can't do that if he is away from the TARDIS for too long. And if he really is the Face of Boe, that meant that he lived billions of years (and probably was killed a couple thousand times).

Synova said...

Bender, I think that there's been times when Wolverine was blown to bits and came back, or shot through the brain or... and then someone will walk it back again to something less ridiculous.

Capt. Jack Harkness must be magical because even if he could regenerate from a pinkie toe, what holds his personality and memories?

And in the case of either of them, why haven't they multiplied? Blow Jack up into a hundred pieces and shouldn't there be a hundred Jacks?

It's all very silly.

Phil 314 said...

What are some of your favorite non-prescriptive moments in movies? Do you think movies are better when the audience isn't forced down a path to a particular message?

The entire movie Inception is "non-prescriptive".

(Or is it!?)

deborah said...

I don't know, Phil. Is it pre-scriptive if it's intentionally left unresolved?

deborah said...

Synova:
"But it doesn't have to be explained, I think. Maybe it's even better if it's not explained."

This makes me think of a sight gag. Like when the South Park boys are playing World of Warcraft, and one of them has a princess avatar as they wander through the game.

Chip Ahoy said...

I liked in the Predator where you have to figure out the guy is invisible and learn yourself how to see it. That was fair.

I dislike it when the suspense and non prescription comes in the form of blackened screen with flashes of light providing only moments of sight into the environment. You want to study the science fiction setting they've created and they won't let you on purpose (must r e s i s t ) and that snot fair!

Beloved Commenter AReasonableMan said...

I saw Pacific Rim. Terrible. It reminded me of Twisters (1996), in which the sole plot device is a set of tornados getting steadily bigger from F2 to F5. Pacific Rim had the same plot, with monsters.

Beloved Commenter AReasonableMan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Alien, where are you when we need you?

deborah said...

Twister was okay for what it was.

deborah said...

But I watched it with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

Synova said...

See now, I really hated Inception.

Mostly because I spend the entire movie going... huh? wha? why? how?... and then it was like, was it real or not?

And I wanted to throw something because if it was real then the character was an *sshole (how many people did he get killed for his fantasy?) and the world had so many holes in it that I wanted to go beat someone up, but if it was fake then it was a cheat.

Pan's Labyrinth was better even with the cheat ending.

Really folks... "It was all a dream?" is deep? Since when?

Beloved Commenter AReasonableMan said...

deborah said...
But I watched it with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.


I also enjoyed it, but I had something of a crush on Helen Hunt.

Synova said...

IIRC, Inception... if it was real he took a bunch of people and got them killed... because he wanted to see his children again and couldn't return to the States... but why Grandpa can't bring the kids out of the States is ignored.

So suppose... My kids aren't in any danger whatsoever, relatives I trust have custody, I don't need to save them from anything at all it's just that I have been exiled from my country and so I get several people permanently dead just so I can see my children in person again.

I hated that guy. As a parent I hated that guy.

I hated him even if *he* was the one caught in the simulation because he didn't know he was caught in the simulation or that he was the one refusing to wake up, so what he did and the reasons he did it (stupid reasons, really stupid reasons) were just as real actions in relationship to his character as if everything was true.

At least in Total Recall when you weren't sure at the end if the whole thing was Arnold's vacation fantasy or not, you could admire the man he was (or became) inside his own head

Phil 314 said...

Gosh Synova, how do you REALLY feel about Inception?

bagoh20 said...

I enjoyed the special effects of Pacific Rim but those cliche characters are so overdone by now. The young hot shot, the old timer former hot shot who can still rock, the girl in the middle. Even ancient fairy tales had unique characters. So many of the action movies today have the same ones. It makes me feel ripped off, like no effort was put into the writing at all. They take a worn out formula, throw in some attractive faces, and the computer graphics guys are the only ones even trying to do something new.

Our culture has dug itself so deeply into a self-referential hole that it's now not even capable of building a spindly ladder of derivatives to climb back to where it started.

bagoh20 said...

I know it's easy to be original when you happen to be an original, but Science fiction really seems to be in a slump. I love Sci-Fi, and I'm no expert, but it seems like the early guys like Lovecraft, Asimov, Rodenberry, etc, did things that either were entirely new or such a new way of doing an old idea, that it just fascinated you, and it didn't matter how it looked, it was all ideas, it was writing.

Bender said...

Blow Jack up into a hundred pieces and shouldn't there be a hundred Jacks?

That reminds me of back when the Simpsons was funny. There was that one episode of Itchy and Scratchy that was a take-off of Fantasia, where Scratchy chops up Itchy into a fine powder, which Scratchy breathes in, and then the powderized bits turn into millions of microscopic Itchys that attack from the inside out.

rcocean said...

I thought the message of West Side Story was never bring a song to knife-fight. Or was it that Ah-mer-ee-ca is bad place and Puerto Rico is better?

rcocean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rcocean said...

Or was it that you should never Befriend Natalie Wood. Didn't her boyfriend watch Rebel without a Cause?

rcocean said...

What I hate is when film-makers or TV producers create a fascinating SF world and then do nothing with it. Lost is the perfect example. Season 4 set up a wonderful SF island situation, but then season 5 turned it into mythology.

Sydney said...

Do you think movies are better when the audience isn't forced down a path to a particular message?

Yes. That's what I liked about the first season of Lost. And the early X-Files.

Titus said...

I wanted to do all the dancing Rican "thugs" in West Side Story.

In the Latino family Ricans tend to have the biggest hogs, mexicans smallest-fyi.

DADvocate said...

Generally, I don't movies that heavily push a message. But, some messages are important. I took the message in "Airplane!" very seriously. Don't eat the fish.

Birches said...

Wow. I really didn't think that whole ending scene with Wolverine and the Japanese girl through very much. I thought she just wanted to be with him because he's Wolverine and who wouldn't want to be with Wolverine? But maybe that's because I preferred her to the delicate Japanese flower love interest. Man, she was boring.

These days I prefer not to think when I'm watching a movie. Blow up a whole bunch of stuff and let me enjoy it, but please don't make me think about saving the whales or the country or whatever.

rcocean said...

I thought the message of Airplane was never call anyone Shirley.

Trooper York said...

I thought the message of Airplane is not to talk to guys who like gladiator movies.

rcocean said...

Roger that.